Why become a member? ×

Music Makers Lincoln now closed

JPAC

Just a note that Music Makers Lincoln, Lincolnshire, UK, has now closed. It was the bright pink shop just at the bottom of the hill. :)

[url="http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/news/Sour-note-music-shop-forced-close/article-874303-detail/article.html"]http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/news/S...il/article.html[/url]

Shame to see this, although you will note from the lack of comments from the forum that most people don't give a f**k !

The BBC gloom and doom mongers reckon on 140,000 retail establishments going bang this year. Generally the reasons are not lack of sales but extortionate business rates and rent. I have a few friends in retail and indeed was in it myself until 2008.
The only ones coping at the moment either own their establishments or have a very tight reign on the accounts.

Internet based business is also struggling with the onset of a price war pushing margins ever lower to the point that soon very few independents will exist. One of my friends has a very successful ebay based guitar and bass parts business and he is feeling the effect of large companies coming into the market with their economies of scale pushing the prices down. Thats fine you may say things will be cheaper to buy but at what cost ?

We'd been there a couple of times, I think they used to do music lessons upstairs too.

Going off on a tangent:

(this is quoted from the link)

Owner Malcolm Mawer told the Echo he has no faith left in the retail trade.

"Every week that we carried on trading we were getting into excess of £5,000 debt," said dad-of-five Mr Mawer, who is also being forced to liquidate [b]a fetish furniture business [/b]he owns.

What on earth is that all about? :)

He has a guitar shop, it's not a big jump to fetish equipment from there, probably some of the same customers.

And I concur with Prosebass, one of the petshops in my home town has closed recently, the reason is that the owners of the building put up the rent so the business become unprofitable.
Now all that's there is an empty shop, that strikes me as stupid on the owners part, as instead of having rent at X, they wanted rent at X + Y, but instead they've now got 0 coming in from it and will still be paying some basic outlay on the building.

Some people are just too greedy.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='459358' date='Apr 10 2009, 03:04 PM']I've already noticed standards of service slipping with my credit card company, British Gas, couriers and other service suppliers. Seems like they've all taken their eye off the ball.[/quote]

All the above: Proudly taking their eye off the ball since about 1978 (1878 in the case of the gas companies).

[quote name='Buzz' post='459376' date='Apr 10 2009, 03:24 PM']He has a guitar shop, it's not a big jump to fetish equipment from there, probably some of the same customers.

And I concur with Prosebass, one of the petshops in my home town has closed recently, the reason is that the owners of the building put up the rent so the business become unprofitable.
Now all that's there is an empty shop, that strikes me as stupid on the owners part, as instead of having rent at X, they wanted rent at X + Y, but instead they've now got 0 coming in from it and will still be paying some basic outlay on the building.

Some people are just too greedy.[/quote]

A lot depends on who the Landlord is and if they own adjacent properties. A general price hike will affect all the Landlords properties as they don't like to have tenants on different rates. I personally think they are in collusion to keep prices up. You never see them having a sale. !
Here is an example from when I was in retail. I looked at a shop that had been vacant for 2-3 months in a town center development. I was told the rent was £40,000 PA which I could not afford. I offered £20,000 for 2 years £30,000 for year 3 and £40,000 for year 4.
The Landlord who developed the site said the rent was non negotiable and if I got a lower rate everyone else on the development would want the same and it would be dangerous long term as the property would be seen to be less desirable if the rent was lower.
It was empty for over 2 years.........

Britain is fine is you belong to the rich elite that runs everything. Otherwise you are just disposable labour for them as a lot of people are finding out at the moment.

Edited by Prosebass