Why become a member? ×

Best Car for Carrying Gear?

Chienmortbb

10 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Nah, lutons are for wimps...

vQXgbK5.png

That is totally amazing.  Is/was it yours?

Mid 90s I had one of these when I first started my garden design/landscaping business - a Citroen Acadiane van (not my pic, got one somewhere in the loft), like a (barely) mobile Nissan hut.  602ccs of raw power :D  Top speed was entirely gradient related - for those that know the long stretch on M25 near J8 on the uphill side I would have lorries whizzing past me as I slowed down to around 40mph, going the other way I could actually reach the legal limit.  The suspension was interesting, a passenger one asked if it cornered on the door handles.  It was left hand drive, gear shift was a strange twist and push/pull out of the dashboard.  Used to break down about once a week.  Yet I loved it to bits.

24745882-6-5.jpgtmpheadlinetop.1156left.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Paul S said:

...  Is/was it yours?...

The one in the photo,no, but mine was identical, bought at auction from the Gendarmerie at Rennes, Brittany for 2000 FF (about £200...). Mileage (well, kilometers, actually...) was 30,000, which I worked out as being one circuit of the Rennes ringroad per week since new, so only just run in, really. Too thirsty with the petrol engine, though, so I removed it and fitted a diesel that I'd refurbished and fitted to my Peugeot 404 estate. The result was a real bombardier; sound-proofing was not 'optimum'. Getting back from gigs at the point of Brittany was err... challenging. I'd just bought it; a few days later, out shopping, I was stopped by (oh the irony...) the local gendarmes, and given a fine for driving a vehicle displaying military insignia (the Red Crosses...). The fine was subject to a general amnesty at the occasion of the election of Mitterand as president, so didn't get paid. I 'tagged' the crosses on the sides, but never got around to the roof..! I gave it away in the end to a pal, who took it down to the Pyrenees, and I lost track of it decades ago now?

My first car in France was a 3cv, just like the Arcadiane in its concept, but older. Happy daze. B|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Fiat.

Multipla.

Fugly.

But you can get a pallet board in one, and the diesel ones (like my old one) can do nigh on 700 miles on a tank driven carefully. 

If you're a power trio, you can all sit 3 abreast on the front and all of everyone's gear will go in the back ( with the rear seats out. Yes. They come right out.)

Everyone used to mock mine. Until they wanted something big moving. 

Everyone would mock mine. But, as a wise man never said;

"Revenge is a dish best served in an IKEA car park"

Still have mine. Fugly as charged but it's just entirely practical. Bass gear full PA and drumkit can be swallowed plus three people in the front. A few years back I made the decision to spend £1000 on a new subframe on it, probably the same as the value of the car at the time. I've had four years motoring out of that decision and it is still going strong. I dread the day when it finally goes and I have to find a replacement. 

On 04/03/2022 at 14:55, nekomatic said:

I'm sure it was a previous thread on here where I learned about the RIDC car database which has boot length and width for lots of current and past models. 

Since every useful fact must be balanced by an amusing anecdote, a drummer friend used to get her entire kit into a Sunbeam Alpine.

That's impressive. I've got a Sunbeam Alpine and have on occasion taken it to rehearsals with a 2 x 10 cab, 2U amp rack and bass (albeit with the roof down). I'm in awe of anyone who could fit a drum kit into it, even though the boot is bigger than you'd expect.

My first thought when seeing the title of this thread was that the best car for carrying "gear" would be something fast with plenty of cubby holes that could be easily overlooked in the event of being searched by the police, but having read some of the replies I think it's possible I got the wrong end of the stick.

• Haha 2