Why become a member? ×

=SOLD= Music Man StingRay 1991

harvey1-8

I bought this bass from Andertons a few years back. Apparently a guy had traded it in for a Warwick a day or two before. Since I've owned her she's seen a few gigs and been looked after well. I had her professionally set-up about 2 years ago by a chap called Graham in Washington, West Sussex. As a result the action is great and she's a joy to play.

I love the colour of this bass and she's in great condition. Unfortunately I'm just not using her. I've never really got on with the neck, I learnt to play on a Jazz and the StingRay neck has always felt uncomfortably wide for my hand. I've looked over the bass really thoroughly and can only find the one ding which I have tried to take a good quality photo of. She's such a good looking bass I'm a little hesitant to sell her but it's a waste to leave her shut in the case.

I want to get another active bass and another jazz so I'm looking to replace her with a USA Fender Jazz Deluxe, either in red, white or black with a rosewood fingerboard. This is the only trade I would consider. Other wise I'm looking for [b]SOLD[/b] so I can take a punt on one of the Jazz Deluxe' that are already for sale on this forum.

The strap in the case isn't included in the sale, sorry.

I emailed Music Man customer service to find out the date of manufacture which is: 5/6/91. I believe it's a honey sunburst (although I could be wrong) and 2 band EQ. She came with a non-music man hard case and she'll leave in the same case.

I live in the Horsham area of West Sussex and anyone is more than welcome to come and have a play. I've had carbon bicycle frames couriered to me in the past only to show up broken or cracked. Carbon's a little difficult to repair. As such I'm reluctant to post or ship the bass. I know this limits the number of people who could buy it but I am willing to travel a fair distance to met halfway. If you're interested but live quite far from Sussex send me a PM or leave a message and we'll see if we can work something out.

On a separate note I will not put this on eBay. If it doesn't sell on here then I will trade her in at a music shop for what I would like.

Thanks, Alex.

EDIT: Quick edit for more pictures and a couple of spelling mistakes.
EDIT 2: New pictures.

I've been asked the same questions on a couple of occasions so I'll put a little more info here. The bass weighs 4Kg (8.8 pounds). I find it a comfortable weight for 2-3 hours but any more and I start to feel it in my shoulder. I guess I should use a wider strap to spread the load.

The bass is all original, I had this confirmed when I had it set-up a while back. The case is not a MusicMan hard case but it's the one I received when I got the bass. I'm not sure if MusicMan basses came with a MusicMan branded hard case back in 91 (maybe some one on the forum knows?) so I can't say if there ever was one. The case I have for the StingRay is included in the sale.

If anyone else has a question please don't hesitate to PM me or leave a message bellow. I'm still looking for [b]SOLD[/b] so I can afford to buy one of the other basses advertised on the forum.

Thanks again, Alex.

Edited by alexharvay

[quote name='budget bassist' post='462879' date='Apr 15 2009, 12:10 PM']beatuful bass mate, if i had the cash for it i'd snap your arm off for it, good luck with the sale anyways

And it looks like honey burst to me, lovely colour[/quote]

I was 95% sure it was honey burst so thanks for confirming that. I do love the colour.

I managed to get outside with the bass and camera this afternoon so here's a bump for new pictures. If anyone has a special photo request then leave a message or drop me a PM and I'll do my best.

I'll do my best to answer any further questions.

Edited by alexharvay

That is a very nice Stingray - from a period that arguably beats many of the pre-EB Rays a lot of bassists rave about. It's on the lighter side for a Ray too which is also a positive. If I didn't already have one I would buy this without hesitation. Good price - do not be convinced to sell for less!

[quote name='martthebass' post='463470' date='Apr 15 2009, 10:24 PM']That is a very nice Stingray - from a period that arguably beats many of the pre-EB Rays a lot of bassists rave about. It's on the lighter side for a Ray too which is also a positive. If I didn't already have one I would buy this without hesitation. Good price - do not be convinced to sell for less![/quote]

+1 Mart - This bass is stunning for the year & should be sold already!

Thanks for all the comments guys.

The finish is stunning, the sound is amazing (the only bass I own that I play straight into the amp without my sansamp between) and as CK said "for a 18 year old bass, its in remarkably good nick". The ding I have photoed is the only cosmetic issue.

I know not shipping/posting the bass limits the number of potential buyers but I don't want to risk it. Like I said in the original post I've had some bad experiences in the past with posting expensive large items. I think we'll all agree that a broken bass is a waste.

Like many, I have a one in one out policy with basses and guitars, and at the moment I'm starting to think I should hang on to this and sell one of my guitars instead. I've had some interest though so I'll see those through and if it doesn't sell then I'm thinking I'll hang on to it.

Thanks, Alex.