Why become a member? ×

Mic for home studio

lobematt

You'll get quite a few good answers, but a generic bit of advice I wished I'd known at the start is: take the room acoustics into account. A mic that sounds excellent in a soundproofed room may well be horrible in a room with your children screaming while playing computer games next door and you don't necessarily know the room acoustics of the people making the recommendations. You may ask me how I know this.....

I've recorded some good stuff using a blend of two Aston Elements, one near the bridge, one near the fingerboard. Two would be stretching your budget, but it's what I have and they're good. Maybe two of the Samson microphones above would be similar? At that price I may even buy two myself to find out!

I use 2 mics - an AKG D112 and a Rode NT1A large diaphragm condenser. The mix of the two signals works really well for me. The AKG is pretty much an industry standard for bass frequencies and is bombproof, which is a big deal for me. The Rode is a Neumann U87 clone, and is absolutely spectacular value for money. It's a very accurate, transparent mic, but very smooth too.

When I was running my recording studio a few years ago, despite having things like a U67 and several Rode valve condensers in the mic cupboard, for upright bass I got the best results from a cheap £85 chinese ribbon from Thomann, along with an EV RE20 and a Little Labs IBP analogue phase aligner.