Why become a member? ×

JAY DEE Supernatural

dr1

hey folks!
I ve got my lucky fingers onto this rare beast!

I never had a Jay Dee (here when I'm comin from, not many of them even heard of JDee ) but I know that previous owner went to UK back in 1986 to buy it. It's Jay Dee supernatural, probably made in in begining of 80s and it sounds like one of greatest basses of all time!

few dings and minor scratches but when you know its date, the bass is super conditioned.
also, frets needs some treatment but nothing to worry about! my fingers aint sliced!

it has 18V preamp,passive/active switch and beautifull EQ!

the body is obviously mahagony, but I 'm not complaining on the weight - I lifted some serious weights over the last decades! as for the sound contribution, you probably know that mahagony has the great sound and sustain.

and yes...if someone knows where is the pick ups balance control? could it be the switch or what?

Edited by dr1

If I'm not mistaken, that bass is a Roadie II Active - pretty much identical to a Mark King model but with a black headstock facing and no DI or body laminates. Nothing that makes a jot of difference to the sound really.

The pickup selector switch has 4 positions so from back most position to front, the options should be

1) Off (no LED)
2) On - back pickup only
3) On - both pickups
4) On - neck pickup only

The top chrome control knob is volume (self explanatory really, if you give it a tweak) and the bottom is passive tone which was originally wired to be in parallel with the active eq. However a simple mod can let it run alternatively to the active eq when the active eq switch is used.

The five digit serial number was introduced some time around the late 80's I believe. I went to check the Jaydee serial number database but its no longer on the Jaydee website :)

[quote name='yorick' post='457427' date='Apr 8 2009, 02:37 PM']I think the pick up selector is the knob with the brass plate and LED. Should be a three/four position rotary switch.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Blimey!
....C.K beat me to it! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='457517' date='Apr 8 2009, 03:52 PM']If I'm not mistaken, that bass is a Roadie II Active - pretty much identical to a Mark King model but with a black headstock facing and no DI. Nothing that makes a jot of difference to the sound really.[/quote]
I've had my Roadie II Active since 1992. And always returned to it despite some dalliances and affairs with other basses.
[quote]...and the bottom is passive tone which was originally wired to be in parallel with the active eq. However a simple mod can let it run alternatively to the active eq when the active eq switch is used.[/quote]
I'm interested in that option. Any wiring instructions for that mod? Mine works in both active and passive. Though, to be honest, I doesn't work too good in either in that it effects the tone immediately and then further adjustments have no effect. is it broke? or a function?
[quote]The five digit serial number was introduced some time around the late 80's I believe. I went to check the Jaydee serial number database but its no longer on the Jaydee website :)[/quote]
I just emailed John recently ([email protected]) to find out mine was from 1988. The database has been unavailable for some time.

thank you mate very much indeed! those are the controls,right like that!
yup, I was also checkin Jdee site and there's no serial numbers database anymore... all I know the original owner bought it in UK store back in 1986.
THANX again!

[quote name='Crazykiwi'

The five digit serial number was introduced some time around the late 80's I believe. I went to check the Jaydee serial number database but its no longer on the Jaydee website :)
[/quote]

A phone call dated mine, ever so helpful people

[quote name='bootleg' post='457553' date='Apr 8 2009, 04:18 PM']I'm interested in that option. Any wiring instructions for that mod? Mine works in both active and passive. Though, to be honest, I doesn't work too good in either in that it effects the tone immediately and then further adjustments have no effect. is it broke? or a function?[/quote]

Sounds like the capacitor might be bypassed in some manner (I'm no electronics expert) probably a good idea to check all the soldering joints and to make sure there are no shorts caused by fraying wires.

As far as the passive tone wiring mod goes, I can't remember specifically off the top of my head what I did and I don't have my Jaydee any more as a reference. However the gist of what I did was to re-route the passive eq through the passive side of the active/passive switch...or something like that... :) I couldn't understand why it wasn't wired like that as standard to be honest.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='457517' date='Apr 8 2009, 02:52 PM']If I'm not mistaken, that bass is a Roadie II Active - pretty much identical to a Mark King model but with a black headstock facing and no DI. Nothing that makes a jot of difference to the sound really.[/quote]

it's supernatural,not roadie ll active

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='459337' date='Apr 10 2009, 01:42 PM']The Roadie was a type of Supernatural.[/quote]

and now you're smart??? hahaha! joke! OK,my mistake, I thought it was Supernaturals, Roadie and Mking series with that similar shape.... thanx!

[quote name='dr1' post='459350' date='Apr 10 2009, 02:55 PM']and now you're smart??? hahaha! joke! OK,my mistake, I thought it was Supernaturals, Roadie and Mking series with that similar shape.... thanx![/quote]
Check out a few other Jaydees some time, you'll see they all have Supernatural on the back of the headstock (although I think the Calibas might not).

no,sure,I know theres lots of JDEEs...
I didnt put this photo in fact in 1st post,which would probably helps.

it is probably Roadie (I saw one,the same, on talkbass....)

do you know what would be the price for this nowadays? I am not saying I am selling (true, had few interesting offers and trades...arghhhh!!!!)

Dunno really, depends on the market. Traditionally Roadies aren't as popular as the Mark King series but if someone wants to offer you the same, then why not? I was offered £1300 for my 1985 Jaydee Mark King Series 2 and I would have been an idiot to turn it down as they're not far off that cost brand new! A Roadie 1 might sell for £450-600, couldn't say about yours though.

[quote name='dr1' post='459410' date='Apr 10 2009, 04:31 PM']I am rather confused at the end of the day now...roadie 1 roadie 2 ?
you have pics up above on the start. I wouldnt say at all that my bass is roadie 1[/quote]

Hi - That's my bass in the Flickr pic link above. And a fine bass it is! Congrats on your new bass - they are wonderful instruments, and have a fantastic sound and playability.

According to John's website, the Roadie uses the same hardware as the MK model - it's just a bit lower down the range, as the body isn't of laminated construction. My Roadie is passive with just one vol and tone pot. Yours is the active model.

There were three shapes of Supernatural - The MK1 was the biggest of the three and is quite a substantial bass! The MK2 was slimmer in the waist but kept roughly the same height. The MK3 went back to the original proportions of the MK1 was but smaller overall.

I have some great pics of John's old workshop on FlickR I took back in 1999 before he moved to the new place. (I'll be uploading some pics of the new workshop shortly too). Please drop by and have a look :)

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/reds42/sets/72157616505900933/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/reds42/sets/72157616505900933/[/url]

Here's one of the pics of a part built Mark King Model : -[attachment=23603:MK_part_build2.jpg]

Edited by reds42