Why become a member? ×

Pickup difference

Reggaebass

I normally only buy all original basses, for some reason the pickups have been changed in this from the stock noiseless ones to Seymour Duncan SJB-3 Quarter Pound ones,    Could anyone tell me what difference is between them, a friend of mine has the elite and it sounds great as it is are the ones fitted better, cheers 🙂

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-2015-American-Jazz-Bass-Elite-Olympic-White-/194785375671?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

QPs are pretty high powered, usually emphasis is on both top & bottom end so sound modern/scooped/bigger sounding than stock Fenders. If the bass is a good ‘un and priced well I’d go for it, see if you get on with them - if not get a set of the stock ones, you’ll easily move on the QPs.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

QPs are pretty high powered, usually emphasis is on both top & bottom end so sound modern/scooped/bigger sounding than stock Fenders. If the bass is a good ‘un and priced well I’d go for it, see if you get on with them - if not get a set of the stock ones, you’ll easily move on the QPs.

Nice one, thanks Lozz, would the QPs have more lows than the stock ones for reggae, do you think 

The original pickups would have been noiseless. Which means you could play the neck or bridge pickup on their own, without any single coil hum.

I have an Elite P bass and the best thing about these Elite basses is the Musicman style, truss rod adjuster at the body end of the neck. It makes it very easy to tweak the truss rod to get your preferred action.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gjones said:

The original pickups would have been noiseless. Which means you could play the neck or bridge pickup on their own, without any single coil hum

Thanks, I don’t normally use the bridge pickup , does that mean I would get hum from just using the neck pup 

Edited by Reggaebass

On 01/02/2022 at 10:27, gjones said:

I have an Elite P bass and the best thing about these Elite basses is the Musicman style, truss rod adjuster at the body end of the neck. It makes it very easy to tweak the truss rod to get your preferred action.

Agree with this comment!

Fender - for reasons only known to them - then went and discontinued the Elite range with the wheel truss rod adjuster and string-through-body bridge. The renamed Ultra range reverted back to an Allen key adjuster and no through body string option. Progress? I don't get it.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2022 at 16:22, BlueMoon said:

Agree with this comment!

Fender - for reasons only known to them - then went and discontinued the Elite range with the wheel truss rod adjuster and string-through-body bridge. The renamed Ultra range reverted back to an Allen key adjuster and no through body string option. Progress? I don't get it.

Thanks BlueMoon, there’s an ultra for sale near me and after looking  I think I still prefer the elite 

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Has anyone got the jazz bass elite, what do you think of it, I’ve only played one briefly in the shop quite a while back and it seemed really good 

Yes, I have one. 

I like it. I think it is one of the most evolved classic Fender Jazz  designs. It combines the immediately recognisable with the more modern upgrades that we have come to demand/expect. Like the truss rod wheel and through-body bridge. The ergonomics are great and, for me, the neck profile feels right. I thought the compound radius thing was more Fender BS when I first heard about it, but it is subtle and works for me. Pickups are noiseless. The sound of the active preamp is a "Marmite" thing, and I know many people do switch them out to something else. I play mostly with it in passive mode, I must say.

If pushed, I would say that I prefer my Sadowsky Metro (Japan) Jazz - mainly for the VTC function.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

Yes, I have one. 

I like it. I think it is one of the most evolved classic Fender Jazz  designs. It combines the immediately recognisable with the more modern upgrades that we have come to demand/expect. Like the truss rod wheel and through-body bridge. The ergonomics are great and, for me, the neck profile feels right. I thought the compound radius thing was more Fender BS when I first heard about it, but it is subtle and works for me. Pickups are noiseless. The sound of the active preamp is a "Marmite" thing, and I know many people do switch them out to something else. I play mostly with it in passive mode, I must say.

If pushed, I would say that I prefer my Sadowsky Metro (Japan) Jazz - mainly for the VTC function.

Thanks for that BM, I do remember the neck feeling nice, I’m liking the white one with RW board 👍

• Like 1