Why become a member? ×

NBD Teisco Tulip Bass EB110

Stub Mandrel

I know people will say I've paid over the odds for a bit of thin plywood, but I have an old Kay guitar and despite the cheap as chips construction it has a decent neck and great vintage sound, made better by fitting a  Tune-o-matic bridge.

So, when I saw this hadn't sold at £150 I thought I'd offer £75 for it, on the grounds that it would make a nice looking thing on the wall.

After courier issues, it eventually got collected and arrived today. In its original case - like a long, thin cardboard suitcase with a divider inside.

Surprisingly clean, but it may have spent up to 50 years in a loft, inside the case.

Action was high, but I was able to drop it right down from 1/4". It would go lower, but the A-string is an unmatched one with a piano style bridge end so it's about half a mm lower than the other strings. New strings will sort this. The bridge cover has its foam but it has 'set' so it doesn't reach the lowered strings. headstock logo has gone sometime, serial number sticker is classic Kay/Teisco shape, but the text has worn off, the embossed serial number is just visible 400549. A serial number website from 2013 tells about a legendary spreadsheet for dating them, but doesn't have it as a  download!

Bass is super light, almost toy-like but fun to play. Sound is rounded, thumpy and vintage.

For the price, I think it's a lovely bit of musical heritage.

If @Bassassin is out there, I've read some of your previous comments on these, any further thoughts? Surely that isn't the original, moved, thumb rest?

• Like 3

Agree with Mr Del Var there - that's pretty good for one of these. I don't know them too well but this might be a Japanese example rather than the seemingly more common Taiwanese Kays - I'm not sure the proper tulip style bodies were used on the Taiwan Kays, and I would have expected ply, either on body or neck.

Thumbrest's definitely not original, (it's a tug bar that's been moved from the other side) but the bridge cover is - and they hardly ever still have them fitted.

• Like 2

I've got a gold and black Kay waterslide decal spare from when I did my brown and white one. 

It's just the K in a circle logo. 

You can have it if it's any use to you. 

KTDl8eW.jpeg

Edited by Maude
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Maude said:

You can have it if it's any use to you. 

Top bloke! I love this forum.

@Stub Mandrel here's a pic of a Tulip bass with a logo still in place - probably / possibly one of the solid metal badges with two pins in the back, can't tell from here.

jluqfwnwhi7ho5we6se9.jpg

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What top fellows you all are!

The 'circle' on mine is lower down and lined up with the G-string.

I've got analysis paralysis now!

@Maude thanks for the offer. I will have a go at 3D printing a copy of the one in the last picture, if it works I'll stick it on with double sided tape, if not I will contact you about the decal!

22 hours ago, Maude said:

No problem, it's here if you need it. 

Members of the 'Kay Restorative And Preservationists Ethical Salvage Trust' (KRAPEST) need to help each other out if possible. 

😉👍

So you've broken away from 'Kays - Underappreciated National Treasures Society' at last, then!

The remaining member will be heartbroken. :D

• Haha 3