Why become a member? ×

Half round strings

Thump

Apologies if this has been covered before , i did a search and nothing came up...

At the moment i have flats on my Squier jazz and i absolutely love the feel of them, however i much prefer the sound of roundwound strings like the ones on my ltd.

Currently trying to learn how to properly slap the thing and i feel like having the right sound is more influential to me picking it up more.

Are half rounds simply a halfway house between the two being similar to both but without eithers distinct benefits?

I have no real objection to the feel of rounds i just much prefer the feel of the flats.

Is it possible to find strings that feel like flats but sound like rounds?

Apologies again if this has been covered , i'm just trying to find my place on this instrument and at the moment it sounds sloppy slappy.

Thanks for reading

28 minutes ago, Badscrew said:

My own opinion after having different sets and brands on different basses (anybody else's opinion could differ...): half-rounds combine negative sides of flats and rounds while having none of the benefits :D

All opinions count! 

It looks like i'll be giving them a miss if they have neither benefits of brightness or feel.

I only have one jazz bass and its set up perfectly on flat wounds so i'm very wary of changing anything on as it feels so good.

Looks like i need a new guitar not strings ...

Shopping time i guess 🙃

• Like 1

On 29/01/2022 at 15:48, Thump said:

It looks like i'll be giving them a miss if they have neither benefits of brightness or feel.

I only have one jazz bass and its set up perfectly on flat wounds so i'm very wary of changing anything on as it feels so good.

Looks like i need a new guitar not strings ...

Shopping time i guess 🙃

They are probably kinder to your frets/fingers than rounds but ime they sound more like flats than rounds but are rougher than flats so you may as well just use flats, pressure wounds are slightly smoother feeling than rounds and sound more like rounds but they cost a good £10-15 more and don't really last any longer

Edited by shoulderpet
  • Like 1