Why become a member? ×

interesting Jazz Bass...

theCOO

don't know why i'm defending this bass, which i also think is dodgy - must be the vodka - but the serial number also says it's a 1972 USA job, depending on which website you check, and the neck has binding , which means it would also have blocks on the fretboard rather than dots, which means decals wouldn't cover them, right?

not buying or selling, just genuinly interested in something i haven't seen before!

14 hours ago, theCOO said:

don't know why i'm defending this bass, which i also think is dodgy - must be the vodka - but the serial number also says it's a 1972 USA job, depending on which website you check, and the neck has binding , which means it would also have blocks on the fretboard rather than dots, which means decals wouldn't cover them, right?

not buying or selling, just genuinly interested in something i haven't seen before!

It also has no skunk stripe, indicating a glued-on fretboard. I'm not enough of a vintage Fender expert to know whether they ever used separate maple boards on maple necks (and it could possibly be a replacement board with custom inlays) - but the big pale sanded patch under the decal is not exactly pushing me in the direction of 'genuine'.

The inlays may not be stickers - but given a quick Google throws up Ebay sellers punting stuff like this (£85 to you, sir), then it's not too much of a stretch to think PRS knockoff bird inlays might also turn up on the odd Chinese Jazz neck.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bassassin said:

It also has no skunk stripe, indicating a glued-on fretboard. I'm not enough of a vintage Fender expert to know whether they ever used separate maple boards on maple necks (and it could possibly be a replacement board with custom inlays) - but the big pale sanded patch under the decal is not exactly pushing me in the direction of 'genuine'.

The inlays may not be stickers - but given a quick Google throws up Ebay sellers punting stuff like this (£85 to you, sir), then it's not too much of a stretch to think PRS knockoff bird inlays might also turn up on the odd Chinese Jazz neck.

Agreed. Three bolt neck makes me wonder, too. Apparently, it was introduced on J basses in '75, so not impossible, but added to what you've pointed out, it's not confidence inspiring.

On 28/01/2022 at 21:48, theCOO said:

Looking at the final photo( you have to scroll down below what is on show), it does have neck binding. Date wise the 3 bolt neck is feasible assuming the neckplate is off that Bass but as someone else says, the area under the decal looks lighter. Strange how some people can only get grainy photos for their ads....?