Why become a member? ×

Recommend me an external soundcard...

Jamesemt

I'm wanting to start tracking rehearsals as the drummer has just bought some mics, and everyone else plays through their own PAs apart from me.

Am I right in thinking I just need a multiple input soundcard and some decent software?

I've got a dual core laptop with 4GB of memory to run it

Edited by Jamesemt

If you’re looking for 10+ inputs then it’s gonna potentially cost you a lot. What’s your instrumentation? I can’t imagine that you’d need more than 8 to record a rehearsal – 2 overheads and 1 on the kick for drums, then a single mic or DI everything else.

I think something like this - [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Alesis-IO26-Firewire-Audio-Interface/76F"]http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Co...o-Interface/76F[/url] - would work with Cubase, but I’m not sure. The cheapest way to do it would be to send everything into a mixer and bounce a stereo mix of the whole lot to your interface – all you would need to do then is get hold of an interface with 2 inputs, and these are much cheaper than the kind of thing that I think you’re gonna need for what you’re thinking of doing. Obviously the problem with this is that you wont be able to mix the recordings after, but I take it that you were just after recording the rehearsals for reference rather than using them to promote your band? If that’s the case then have you looked at the Zoom H4 recorders? It seems to be the recording equivalent of a Swiss army knife!

Food for thought anyway…

We use a Focusrite Saffire Pro 10 i/o. It's excellent, easy to use and it sounds good too. Doesnt work properly in Vista though, loose "Sync" all the time but to be honest, I dual boot an extremely stripped out copy of XP on my Laptop and it works seamlessly on that. I'm running a C2D 2.1, 3GB, 2 x 160GB 7200RPM HDDs and we can record 8 tracks simultaneously with about 40-50% cpu load.

Edit: Cost us £200 unused 2nd hand.

Edited by ben604

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='456050' date='Apr 7 2009, 07:35 AM']Cheers - I'm currently using a zoom h2. Got a £500 budget

What about a presonus firestudio?[/quote]

500 pound budget, definitely go for a MOTU 8Pre.

8 inputs should be enough unless you've got an unusually large band -- we've gotten some good results using one and recording live at rehearsal, there's some clips over in another thread in the recording section.

The MOTU as ADAT i/o as well, with the option to add other MOTUs in as converters should you ever need more inputs.

I use an alesis multimix 16 firewire mixer like
[url="http://www.djdeals.co.uk/product-downloads.asp?AID=1230&DownloadCat=2"]this.[/url]
It records up to 16 channels at once to cubase and is very stable and good quality.
You don't need a separate mixer, it's all in one box and it comes with basic cubase.
I've had mine 2 years, I use it a lot and it's never crashed.
I think they've stopped making them, but they come up on ebay and it won't break the bank.
I've also used a MOTU interface and had all sorts of problems with it.

[quote name='redstriper' post='456378' date='Apr 7 2009, 01:32 PM']I use an alesis multimix 16 firewire mixer like
[url="http://www.djdeals.co.uk/product-downloads.asp?AID=1230&DownloadCat=2"]this.[/url]
It records up to 16 channels at once to cubase and is very stable and good quality.
You don't need a separate mixer, it's all in one box and it comes with basic cubase.
I've had mine 2 years, I use it a lot and it's never crashed.
I think they've stopped making them, but they come up on ebay and it won't break the bank.
I've also used a MOTU interface and had all sorts of problems with it.[/quote]

which motu, and running what system?

ironically, i used to work for alesis but i never really hugely cared for those multimix mixers.

[quote name='escholl' post='456443' date='Apr 7 2009, 01:26 PM']which motu, and running what system?

ironically, i used to work for alesis but i never really hugely cared for those multimix mixers.[/quote]

I don't remember which model the motu was, but it was an expensive 19" rackmount job.
I used it with logic and cubase, but it was always crashing and putting glitches in the audio, also had latency problems and the support from motu was virtually nil.
A friend of mine had the same model and he experienced similar problems.
It also didn't have as many inputs or features as the Alesis and required another mixing desk to be of any practical use.
The multimix has been excellent with more features, better stability and less expensive.
The only problem I had with it was a burnt out power supply, I emailed alesis and had 2 new ones by return of post with no charge.
But maybe I've just been lucky, since you must have good reasons to dislike the multimixes - did you get a lot returned?

I would still recommend it because it's simple to use and gets the job done with no fuss, providing 8 mic inputs is enough.

[quote name='redstriper' post='456534' date='Apr 7 2009, 04:12 PM']I don't remember which model the motu was, but it was an expensive 19" rackmount job.
I used it with logic and cubase, but it was always crashing and putting glitches in the audio, also had latency problems and the support from motu was virtually nil.
A friend of mine had the same model and he experienced similar problems.[/quote]

That's unfortunate, MOTU stuff is actually very good, IME well designed and very reliable, and I always recommend it when the budget allows. Without knowing anything else about the situation, I couldn't guess what it was -- maybe you were both just very unlucky :)

the only complaint i have about MOTU is that the price has gone up as bad as some hartke stuff has lately -- a year ago an 8Pre could be had for 340, it is now 480!!

[quote]The only problem I had with it was a burnt out power supply[/quote]

that is all too familiar -- in their mixing desks, in their monitors, in their amplifiers. the list goes on.

i'm glad it's still working for you, getting two supplies was probably a good idea. their customer service is generally pretty good -- well it would have to be, wouldn't it ^_^

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='456909' date='Apr 7 2009, 10:28 PM']Thanks for the replies....still unsure as to what to go for!!

Any more advice?[/quote]

All I’d advise is to really think about what you’re going to be using the equipment for and what you’re going to use the recordings for at the end of the day…

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='456039' date='Apr 7 2009, 06:31 AM']I'm wanting to start tracking rehearsals as the drummer has just bought some mics, and everyone else plays through their own PAs apart from me.

Am I right in thinking I just need a multiple input soundcard and some decent software?

I've got a dual core laptop with 4GB of memory to run it[/quote]

I've tried quite a few, and this one does everything you want for not much dosh. It is USB, and unusually faster than firewire..............

* 16 simultaneous Inputs
* 4 Simultaneous Outputs
* 14 x 4 Analog Input/Output
* Stereo S/PDIF Digital Input/Output
* 8 XLR Mic Inputs with Phantom Power
* USB 2.0 Computer Interface
* Up to 96kHz/24-bit Audio Resolution
* Zero-latency Hardware Monitoring
* Independent Monitor and Headphone Outputs
* 16-channel MIDI Input and Output
* Includes Steinberg Cubase LE4 and TASCAM Continuous Velocity Piano
* ASIO and Core Audio support for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Mac OS X
* Weight: 3.2kg / 7.1 lb
* Dimensions (WxDxH): 19" x 11.1" x 1.74" (482.6mm x 280mm x 44mm)

[url="http://www.tascam.com/products/us-1641.html"]http://www.tascam.com/products/us-1641.html[/url]

Edited by rslaing

• 2 weeks later...