Why become a member? ×

Stingrays

SteveXFR

2 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Does the battery box make any difference to anything?

Probably not - my USA Sub has a generic one and has been fully functional for nearly 20 yrs - also survived a previous owner letting the battery leak in it. 

The tuners are likely to also be functional but you will likely find the Stingray Special to be exquisite in every way. It depends on your needs and desires whether that is appropriate - best bet is to try both - I mentioned before about two pick up versions - the SBMM is also available in that format. Worth trying them all if you can. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

image/sound - what’s really important?!

Never underestimate the importance of image! 

4 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

They also expected me to buy an SVT head and 8x10 to suit their big stage dual amp dreams and have it all within a few weeks for rehearsal.

To put it mildly, they sound naïve / dreamers. If you really need a SVT / fridge, the chances are that it will be hired in or provided by the promoters for the type of gigs that they were aspiring to. However, it wouldn't hurt to have a decent hybrid amp / 410 or 610 cab if you want to play in those types of bands.

Likewise, you need to look at what bass you need for the gigs you are likely to get. As much as I would encourage the OP to get a full fat SR4 as they are great basses and a step-up from what they currently have, if he is going to play in modern metal type bands then a fanned fret 5 string might be a  better choice. However, if he is going to do any blues or classic rock gigs then that would be the wrong bass and a more traditional looking / sounding bass (such as a stingray) would be better. You do need the right bass for the gigs you are actually going to try and get! 

Edited by peteb

1 hour ago, peteb said:

However, it wouldn't hurt to have a decent hybrid amp / 410 or 610 cab if you want to play in those types of bands.

I already had an Orange Terror 500w with 4x10 which has uprated Eminence speakers. I was running a Two Notes Le Bass preamp in the effects return to bypass the Orange preamp. I thought it sounded great.

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I already had an Orange Terror 500w with 4x10 which has uprated Eminence speakers. I was running a Two Notes Le Bass preamp in the effects return to bypass the Orange preamp. I thought it sounded great.

I used one of those Le Bass preamps a few weeks ago - sounded amazing 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

The Terror is pretty much par for the course when it comes to stoner/doom/metal anyway, so I'm even more confused about what their issue was!?!?

I'm not sure what sort of venues you plan on playing or what sort of state you plan on getting in after the gig, but that would be a factor for me when deciding on your purchase. My Ric only really leaves the house for blues jams when I know I won't be drinking too much and I know it won't be left unattended in a dingy back room for most of the night. For those kinda gigs I prefer a cheaper bass that I'd be less annoyed about if it got pinched.