Why become a member? ×

NPD - EHX Micro Synth

stewblack

Well this is so much fun.

IMG_20211218_160329.thumb.jpg.52bcd7664fd3536de75c53d98f57b76f.jpg

I'm a simple soul and I like effects I can master in a reasonably short time. And I like them to produce a pleasing noise too.

While I could probably approximate the sound of this 'micro' pedal with the other synth options at my disposal, it would be an awful lot of work.

This pedal is an absolute belter with all the controls doing something simple and obvious to the sound, and it took mere seconds to find a usable setting.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, oldslapper said:

Been looking at one of those Stew, they look like a lot of fun.
I think I need to try some different pedals in a rehearsal to get some “sonic context”. 

My experience of pedals is they never sound the way you expect in a band context. 

No matter how you set them up at home they always sound so different. It's a problem.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, stewblack said:

My experience of pedals is they never sound the way you expect in a band context. 

No matter how you set them up at home they always sound so different. It's a problem.

Yeah. I’m thinking rehearsing with a couple in a band situation might be best. Not having experience of pedals, I can see that it could be a deep old rabbit hole, bit like double bass strings. 

• Like 1

Possibly my favourite pedal. Had this version, sold it to my immediate regret, then found a big box version on here which I plan on keeping forever.

This smaller version does everything the big one does and is far more practical due to size and power requirements.

On 23/12/2021 at 20:45, stewblack said:

Never have I seen a truer word spoken. 

I'm always impressed when I see people's pedal boards crammed with esoteric effects and can't begin to fathom how they handle it live. I've owned possibly hundreds of pedals and only ever gigged 3-4 at a time. 

• Like 1

What a lot of people don't realise about the EHX MS is that it's also a good little envelope filter and/or octaves as well - just depends how you set it.

I loved mine, but have gone digital for my synth sounds, purely because of being able to store presets.

I swing in all directions with synth pedals. Digital, analogue, digital controlled analogue, each has their benefits, each their drawbacks.

My favourite today is Digitech Bass Synth Wah run in parallel with a downswept filter being fed by a distorted bass. It's amazing. 

I can't imagine using it in either of my bands but it's been fun this morning.