Why become a member? Ɨ

A speaker cable post šŸ˜“

SamPlaysBass

Welcome to the most exciting Saturday morning post on Basschat.

Ā 

I would like to buy new speaker cables. I have previously bought speaker cables from Amazon (Stagg, if I recall). They do the job for 6 months or so and then they decide they donā€™t want to be speaker cables anymore. Then they get placed in the bin and I buy new speaker cables (after wedging off the speakons just in case they come in handy).Ā 
Ā 

Where can I buy good quality, not expensive speaker cables that may outlast a year or so?Ā 
Ā 

Iā€™m not adverse to making my own if need be, but I would like someone to hold my hands through the specifics of ordering the correct cable and accoutrements.

Ā 

Cheers guys, hope your week is more exciting than this post.Ā 

Save your money and make them up yourself. Buy good quality cable - Van Damme or similar with 2.5 mm conductors - and the Speakons. If you can cut and strip cable and turn a screwdriver (no soldering required with Speakons), it's a piece of p1ss.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Save your money and make them up yourself. Buy good quality cable - Van Damme or similar with 2.5 mm conductors - and the Speakons. If you can cut and strip cable and turn a screwdriver (no soldering required with Speakons), it's a piece of p1ss.

I any kind of quantity? Absolutely! As you mentioned speakons are by far the easiest cable to DIY. For one or two 1m cables? Just not worth it really ime.Ā 

On 06/11/2021 at 18:24, Dan Dare said:

Ā 

+1. For this application it's all about mechanical strength and integrity. As the OP seems to have discovered with the 'Stagg' failures - would be interesting to know where they are breaking physically.

Essentially you just need a decent gauge of conductor protected by a robust jacket and properly attached to good quality connectors.

I'll say that you don't particularly need audio branded cable though it does no harm. I favour two core stranded mains appliance cable. And preferably the 'Orange' jacket type intended for external appliance use (eg lawnmowers etc)

because a) the jacket should be robust enough to survive being trod on etc, b) You can see it easily inĀ  the 'cable bag' and less likely to leave it behind šŸ™‚

OP already has the Speakons so just requiring to properly strip to the correct lengths that should be available via Neutrik info'.

Personally I tend to 'tin' the exposed copper ends to give the screws something 'solid' to bite into - but I know opinion varies on that.

For the jack cable or adaptor piece then I suggest one of those large bodies Neutrik jacks to allow for a good cable diameter and give plenty of room to solder / insulate the connections.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

If you do make up your own, use real Speakons. Most imitations are rubbish (some won't even fit actual Speakon terminals without persuasion). It really isn't worth saving Ā£1 per connector for the aggravation.

Ā tbh I didn't know there were 'imitation' Speakons. I'd have thought the potential market share would be too small to be worthwhile. OTOH I've seen more surprising things on counterfeit semiconductor products do what do I know šŸ¤”