Why become a member? ×

Amp head suggestions

Rich77

I can see you getting a list as long as your guitar lead of people's favourite amps but for my £0.02 worth... ANY amp with 3-400 watts+ will do if you just want more power.  Every amp comes with a volume control, so 300 - 1000w in a spare bedroom isn't too loud; it may be a waste of power but if you went out gigging you'd not need to worry about buying a bigger amp!  GK 700/800/1001 etc are great amps but do you like the tone?  

Just a suggestion, might be worth asking what the fan noise is like on the amp’s that are given, I really don’t like the noise of a fan in a quiet room , (if it doesn’t bother you it’s not a problem) , which is one of the reasons I’ve got all valve amps and the RM500  which is so quiet 🙂

23 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Just a suggestion, might be worth asking what the fan noise is like on the amp’s that are given, I really don’t like the noise of a fan in a quiet room , (if it doesn’t bother you it’s not a problem) , which is one of the reasons I’ve got all valve amps and the RM500  which is so quiet 🙂

Aye, fan noise has been the primary frustration in my search for a quiet home use head in a small room.

RM800 was decent noise wise, although strange notched volume knob. 

The Elf I found distractingly loud (the first one I had was silent because the fan wasn’t working 🤦‍♂️). Markbass combo less so but still noticeable. 

Current Magellan 350 is ticking a lot of boxes and no intentions to look elsewhere. 

The GK 700 RB is fantastic, the fans don't really kick in until you start cranking up the volume so it's great for playing at low volumes. I'd recommend having a go on one first as it's all pretty subjective but tbh I think they sound incredible.

I have mine for sale currently. I know I'm gonna regret it but need something a little smaller I can chuck in a bag to take to gigs so thinking of going for a GK legacy/fusion s instead.