Why become a member? ×

Hearing myself - help neded

lownote

You think you have problems with your sax, the other day I turned up to a blues session but the whole band were playing a quarter tone out of tune and the drummer couldn’t keep a rhythm, I think I was the only working musician in the room… 

You may have a problem that frequency mixing can fix. 

A lot of sound engineers and musicains don't understand that instruments each have their own frequency spectrum that they stand out in and cutting frequencies on some instruments will allow others to come through. 

For example guitarists like to have their tone and bass players like to have their tone. Which may sound great when they're playing at home but tread all over each other in a live mix if the bass isn't cut on the guitar and certain frequencies aren't cut from the bass. 

If the guitar frequencies are overriding the sax you won't be heard. 

I had the same problem in a 9 piece band I played in, the saxophonist wanted to sound more rounded with loads of reverb - which is OK solo'd in a room but live needed loads of top end, mid cut and no reverb otherwise she was just buried in the mix. This also meant more eq cut on the guitar and keys where they conflicted. 

Mixing is an art and not just 'turn everything up so it's louder than everything else' - volume wars. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bunion said:

You think you have problems with your sax, the other day I turned up to a blues session but the whole band were playing a quarter tone out of tune and the drummer couldn’t keep a rhythm, I think I was the only working musician in the room… 

Are you sure it wasn’t a jazz session… maybe you took a turning into the wrong room.

On 29/10/2021 at 10:51, Hellzero said:

Anyone have experience using one of these? As I’m rarely given any monitoring whatsoever, am considering getting one, but I’m confused by the instruction to place directly opposite the amp. Because that would mean in front of me, wouldn’t it? I am of course a modest sort, but am worried about looking daft half-hidden by a speaker.