Why become a member? ×

Chapman stick inlays

Woodinblack

Sort of of topic I guess, but it is inlays in general!

I have a chapman stick railboard, its basically a slab of aluminium, and it has a group of the long inlays, either painted or moulded in - not sure how it is supposed to be, but can be seen here:

http://www.stick.com/instruments/railboard/inlays/rb_bronze_linear_close.jpg

Anyway, when I got mine they just had small strips of gold (paper / leaf? not sure) that sort of but not quite fitted in the hole, like this:

IMG_2578 (1).jpeg

Never liked them that much but not an issue.

At the bass bash one of them fell out. After getting home another one fell out. Not generally a problem as I didn't like them but the problem now is it turns out it is really hard to play without the fret markers as from the top it is just a series of frets with no contrast.

IMG_2580 (1).jpeg

So I want fret markers.  I made a mould with wax, then a reverse mould with some hardening putty things, and then an inlay with some acrylic stuff with glitter in it, but turns out surprisingly that it looked a bit sub-par!

The slots are 1.6mm deep, 6mm wide, 56mm long (incuding the 3mm radius at the end).

How would anyone approach making an inlay for this?

What is that normal stuff that people make inlays with?

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Sadly not, but do they not just do rather flat plain plastic?

Have to say I've never seen one in action in real life, but on TV some impressive complex items have been produced.

If it was mine and I was in mad professor mode ...

Cling film on the neck

Mix a bit of car body filler - Push into rebate for marker and level with fret board.

Carefully lift the cling film when set to remove the solid piece and lightly sand to level up.

If you want the glitter effect, try adding some fairy dust from a craft supplier in the mix.

Mad professor mode doesn't guarantee perfect results, so try at your own risk! 

22 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

A light fill with humbro enamal type paint... vast array of colours

maybe applied with a pipette or dropper?

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I think the issue with filling those is the cleanup after. 

Initial thought was that rather than trying to create something to fill it (and then glueing it in) you could mask off the area and pour a little bit of resin into it, then sand/polish it back.

These are almost certainly the right answers, but it just makes me really nervous, there is a bit of a risk of damaging the surface, or if it gets messed up, cleaning it up afterwards.

Maybe the real answer is to give it to someone who won't mess it up :D

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

These are almost certainly the right answers, but it just makes me really nervous, there is a bit of a risk of damaging the surface, or if it gets messed up, cleaning it up afterwards.

Maybe the real answer is to give it to someone who won't mess it up :D

Find a luthier (or someone adept at working with resins and finishing)...Simms?

• Like 1

Is the aluminium fret board painted/coated with something? 

Painting the recessed marker and then, when dry, tidying up the edges by lightly rubbing the fretboard surface with some fine wet n dry would be my way to go, depending on the finish already on the fretboard. 

Or, test an area of the fretboard with a solvent to make sure the solvent doesn't take the finish off, the paint the markers with a paint that the solvent will take off while wet. Then carefully paint and clean up any excess with said solvent on a cotton bud or similar. 

35 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The fretboard is anodised, I am not sure how robust, other than I haven't scratched it

In theory anodised aluminium is very very hard, so should be resistant to scratching. Rather than a coating like paint, it actually converts the top layer of ally to an oxide, which is porous. Pigment fills these pores so that the colour is actually in the top layer of aluminium rather than sat on top like paint. 

It is also resistant to most chemicals that don't eat into the surface. 

So either of my suggested methods 'should' work. 

Personally I'd fill with something like Humbrol model paint and clean up whilst wet with white spirit. From memory white spirit removes Humbrol paint. 

The white spirit is relatively tame and shouldn't touch the anodising. 

As always, try a tiny area first. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Didn't like that so I got rid of it.

Then I bought some gold leaf as it wasn't that expensive. Never done gold leaf before, didn't realise how flakey it was, and how hard to put on.

But, although it is a bit rough at the moment and a bit uneven (I might try a bit more), it is way more umm.. lifefull? than the gold paint

IMG_0856.jpeg

Still needs a bit of a tidy and removing of excess, but its much better than what was there before and you can really see it, which was the original problem

IMG_0857.jpeg

• Like 1