Why become a member? ×

Boss SY-200. New synth pedal on the way.

fretmeister

• 1 year later...

Just resurrecting this thread - a year later how do the SY-200 users still feel about it? Are you’d still using it live? Did you end up selling it for something else?

It seems like the device I need at the moment for copping a few 80’s synth lines on covers gigs, I want to see if I can be talked out of it.

Edited by NoirBass
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, NoirBass said:

Just resurrecting this thread - a year later how do the SY-200 users still feel about it? Are you’d still using it live? Did you end up selling it for something else?

Currently I don't as I have just redone my board and currently we don't have the songs that need it (as we changed guitarists), however, I still have it and I will use it at some point, its still a good device.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 13/06/2023 at 17:47, NoirBass said:

It seems like the device I need at the moment for copping a few 80’s synth lines on covers gigs, I want to see if I can be talked out of it.

Been using a full pedal board live for a little while with a Zoom B1-4 multifx at its heart, rather than just the B1-4 as a standalone multifx and tuner. 

Found a really good bit-crusher sim ("Lo fi") on the SY 200, which I've tweaked to suit my personal taste. I don't recall having a bit-crush feature on the SY-1? If so, this is a really nice-to-have additional capability.

The patch seems very usable e.g. for a Sweet Dreams/Eurythmics style bass line and probably means my dedicated bit crusher pedal could be for the chop, in which case the SY 200 just paid for itself!

The polyphonic & superb tracking that the Boss SY pedals have also means I don't need to worry about noisy glitches during a song, which was a key reason for going with this in preference to a couple of the market leading alternatives. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 04/11/2023 at 13:15, BabyBlueSound said:

Good to know there is a synth pedal that actually works. The Electro Harmonix Bass Synth was SO disappointing in terms of tracking & triggering... I'll have to check some vids about this SY-200

Here's a short clip of the SY200 to give you a feel for it in a band mix.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Been enjoying using the Arp setting + Ctrl switch to "hold" for a fixed pitch to avoid it sounding too busy when playing a riff + an expression pedal for either fx volume / arp pitch shift with ability to tailor the interval. 

The SY 200 maybe has a wider use on pitch shift, particularly given how good its tracking is - definitely able to rival the multifx and dedicated pitch shift pedals I've previously tried out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok. There's a sy-200 locally im considering making a lowball offer on.

Not so low it wont be accepted, but it would be a good deal.

I have the FI, the C4 and a pigtronix mothership 2. I do use all of them.

Am i mental to get the boss as well? I really want it....

26 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Ok. There's a sy-200 locally im considering making a lowball offer on.

Not so low it wont be accepted, but it would be a good deal.

I have the FI, the C4 and a pigtronix mothership 2. I do use all of them.

Am i mental to get the boss as well? I really want it....

If you can pick it up for a price that you're going to get back on it, seems like you've not much downside? Treat it as a free rental opp - who knows you may even like it 😅 I mean you're putting the PM2 to far better use than I ever managed!

Polyphonic and very tight "tracking" makes it quite usable live IME.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

If you can pick it up for a price that you're going to get back on it, seems like you've not much downside? Treat it as a free rental opp - who knows you may even like it 😅 I mean you're putting the PM2 to far better use than I ever managed!

Polyphonic and very tight "tracking" makes it quite usable live IME.

The thing about the PM2, it has many sweet spots, but even a minir knob twist and it's gone! 

If you get it right, yoi can get the best lead tone into a heavy distortion.  

I still think it's the best engineered pedal I've seen.