Why become a member? ×

End of the road

Telebass

Discharge later today. Will doubtless be asking that section of BC that have experience of DVT/PE a lot of questions!

Seems improved today,  but there's no getting around it - anticoagulants for life is the new reality for me.

The biggest thing to take away is that the goal giving me back a spine I can walk with = 100% successful.  Job done.

Three months off the bass/bike, minimum. But it's worth it.

• Like 7

It sounds encouraging so far, hope to see you at a bass bash soon. Good luck with the recovery. 

FWIW I had a DVT/PE incident, probably very different as mine was idiopathic (came from nowhere) but once the clots cleared it was a non-incident. I've stayed on riveroxaban as a precaution but the only side effect is that you bleed more when you cut yourself. 

• Like 1

Telebass, sorry to hear your situation buddy…. I can relate….

I have a condition called Ankylosing spondylitis which has left me with an awful lot of similarities to you in regard to fusion, surgeries and just general spinal nightmare…

Im sticks all Time and a wheelchair for anything outside of my limited capabilities to stand, walk or like you say , just be upright. 

What I’ve come here to say is that for a long time I stopped playing, packed in and accepted it……. But after some time i found a way to make it work. 
that did seem impossible at one time and believe me sometimes I still have major difficulties , but with a band that values my input, they’re willing to help fetch and carry if it means I just sit and play.  
with the right bass , playing sitting (even at gigs) , even if I’m curled up over my bass, I can still pull

it off and be right in the pocket. 

morphine 3 times a day helps with that but joking aside , its kinda become  my thing to be hunched over my bass looking like I’m in the groove…. Know one needs to know that that just the shape

of my spine now ! Hahah

my band rehearsals are once a week for 2 hrs, gigs are no more than 1 or 2 every 2 or 3 months…. It’s enough for me…. We enjoy it…..

take some time pal, find a way and don’t let it take away the last thing in your life that makes you you.

I’ll be thinking of you buddy…… take some time….

edit: just re-read and realise this is an age post with a positive update ! Which is great to read. 

a note on the DVT, I also have that in my right leg…. and blood thinners for life (apixiban) …..

my legs are absolutley ruined too after a terrible bike crash around 18’years ago i which I shattered both femurs….

seems we have alot in common hahaha

Edited by Wonky2
  • Like 7

On 09/02/2023 at 13:01, Telebass said:

That would be my hope, although I still doubt I will ever stand and play again. I'll find something. 

Anthony Jackson plays sitting down, and always has. I know it's not very rock'n'roll, but if it's good enough for him... :D 

6 hours ago, Telebass said:

Final sutures out tomorrow,  then I can have a proper stand-up shower. Luxury!

I bet that shower will feel like absolutely the best thing ever.

Fantastic news all round.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, time passes. Still many barriers to overcome,  but with the aid of a 4-wheel walker, have managed a 1.5 mile circuit of Tavistock town centre and park. There is still pain, and unexpected instability to deal with, quite apart from needing personal care for some things. Still uncertain as to regaining the superpower of putting on my own shoes and socks!

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Telebass said:

Ok, time passes. Still many barriers to overcome,  but with the aid of a 4-wheel walker, have managed a 1.5 mile circuit of Tavistock town centre and park. There is still pain, and unexpected instability to deal with, quite apart from needing personal care for some things. Still uncertain as to regaining the superpower of putting on my own shoes and socks!

Small steps maybe, but steps nonetheless. Keep at it and, whilst maybe not back to where you were pre this thread, you’ll look back at these early days with incredulity at your limitations and the body’s ability to heal and adapt. With regard to bass playing, if it still gives you joy, just do it in whatever manner is comfortable for you. As pointed out above AJ has always sat as far as I can tell and is still an absolute monster. Positive vibes from the Highlands.

• Like 2