Why become a member? ×

The Perils Of Turning Thirty

Munurmunuh

11 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Metallica are a poor example, having tightly embraced mediocrity for 30 years. How about Sepultura, Voivod or Anthrax who continue to put out creative and interesting music well past thirty years into their careers?

Hardwired: nothing compared to Dyers Eve

The four of these six I've listened to so far: ditto

So I'm not yet convinced that you've proved your thesis that I chose "a poor example". But I do still have two to go..... 😋

6 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

The upside is that you will never have to fear that most devoted fans are desperately hoping for a return to the form of your early 20s, you can enjoy knowing that they will be simply appreciative of the consistency of your output over the years. 

Devoted fans? 

Fans?

;)

• Haha 1

Holst was 40 before he started on The Planets, 44 when he finished it. R.E.M. were in their 30's before they created Out Of Time and Automatic For The People. Foo Fighters released only two albums before Grohl turned 30. Gold Mother came out when Tim Booth was 30. Laid, Seven, Whiplash, Millionaires, these wonderful albums all came after.  The B-52's peak came well into their 30's. Doug Pinnick was 30 before King's X ever formed. He's still putting out great albums with KXM with George Lynch, who's in his 60's. It's not impossible for older musicians to excel after they turn 30. If they don't, it's nothing to do with what the calendar says.

On 13/08/2021 at 15:31, Ricky Rioli said:

"Robert Smith's depression prior to the recording of Disintegration gave way to the realization on his 29th birthday that he would turn 30 in one year. This was frightening to him, as he felt all the masterpieces in rock and roll had been completed well before the band members reached such an age." 

50 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Miles Davis was in his 30's when he did A Kind of Blue.

:dash1: