Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on this 93/94 CIJ Precision?

Plusnine

For what it's worth, I've had two 90s Jap Precisions over the past 15 years or so (now sadly sold on via BC). 

Both were really, really good. No issues, fantastic sounding and playing instruments. 

There is a dim sense around at the moment that 90s Fender Japan basses are on the up - not necessarily becoming the "new JVs", but not far off it either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brother Jones said:

For what it's worth, I've had two 90s Jap Precisions over the past 15 years or so (now sadly sold on via BC). 

Both were really, really good. No issues, fantastic sounding and playing instruments. 

There is a dim sense around at the moment that 90s Fender Japan basses are on the up - not necessarily becoming the "new JVs", but not far off it either. 

That's great to hear, thanks for your comment! Hoping to get my hands on this one, it'll be my first P.

On 30/06/2021 at 09:39, Plusnine said:

For reference, the serial number is O053551 which from my research has pulled it up as these

C3BC7AC9-3A23-4BAD-9E82-AD5E2D2BCAAC.jpeg

The information here's not correct. Fujigen Gakki only ever made 'Made In Japan' labelled instruments. When manufacture moved from Fujigen to Dyna Gakki & Tokai Gakki, 'Crafted In Japan' was introduced to differentiate them. Seemingly Fujigen retain exclusivity over the MIJ label and it has appeared on occasional post-'97 Fujigen-made production runs.

The 'O' prefix & CIJ indicates it's post-'97 and from either Dyna or Tokai, but I don't think there's any way of distiguishing which of those factories built it. There's no quality differentiation between any of the factories used by Fender Japan.

• Like 5

I have had a few Fender Japan Precisions and always go for the PB70 model. The neck profile is the same as the B profile which is, as you say, between a Jazz and a 'standard' P bass. Exceptional instruments. I always swapped out the pickup for a Kent Armstrong Vintage P but there are loads to choose from.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

I have had a few Fender Japan Precisions and always go for the PB70 model. The neck profile is the same as the B profile which is, as you say, between a Jazz and a 'standard' P bass. Exceptional instruments. I always swapped out the pickup for a Kent Armstrong Vintage P but there are loads to choose from.

That one I bought from you a couple of years ago (now sadly departed) is probably the best P I've ever played Steve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bassassin said:

The information here's not correct. Fujigen Gakki only ever made 'Made In Japan' labelled instruments. When manufacture moved from Fujigen to Dyna Gakki & Tokai Gakki, 'Crafted In Japan' was introduced to differentiate them. Seemingly Fujigen retain exclusivity over the MIJ label and it has appeared on occasional post-'97 Fujigen-made production runs.

The 'O' prefix & CIJ indicates it's post-'97 and from either Dyna or Tokai, but I don't think there's any way of distiguishing which of those factories built it. There's no quality differentiation between any of the factories used by Fender Japan.

Thanks for the insight! I was hoping I might find a birth-year bass for myself, so I’m going to try and decipher the volume pots when I get this on the weekend and swap the pickguard.

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

Very much looking forward to giving this a go! The seller has already fitted some Custom Shop ‘62’s which I’ve heard some good things about? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plusnine said:

Very much looking forward to giving this a go! The seller has already fitted some Custom Shop ‘62’s which I’ve heard some good things about? 

Great pickups, I’m sure you’ll be pleased with them, especially on such a great bass

• Like 1