Why become a member? ×

Setting up a basement Band / Jam Room

bass_dinger

I have been asked to advise a friend who is setting up an old-school Jam Room in the basement of his house.

He has asked for advice on which bass amp to buy, along with a bass guitar for when a bassist turns up without the necessary kit.

I have also been asked for advice on a vocal mic and the necessary amplification - like I said, he wanted to set it up like he remembered from 40 years ago, when he was in a punk band.  Old School - so, one amp for each instrument, and a single vocal amp.

As for budget, I have not been given one, nor do I yet know the size of the room, or what other amps will be in place.  However, I do know that a small drum kit will soon arrive. 

I am thinking a Sire bass (because basschatters seem to like them), and an Ashdown Electric Blue EB 12-180 (because I have used one), and a 20 foot cable.

For the vocals, an SM58 into a floor monitor? 

Does anyone have any advice?  As I typed this out, I realise that it is hard to advise on kit, when we don't know budgets, room size, and existing kit.    

He's also got to consider a budget for sound-proofing the basement.

Assuming that most properties in the UK with basements tend to be in built up areas, and in older properties, so time and money spent soundproofing will pay off when he does come to start hosting jam sessions, as his neighbours won't be complaining about the noise.

Humidity / damp in a basement in the UK is also a factor to consider, it'll play havoc with any equipment left in there for any length of time, so maybe a dehumidifier might be worth looking at.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but they need to be considered before outlaying on gear.

Can't go wrong with an EB 180, or any of the other Ashdown amps. Consider maybe a Vintage brand bass. Though any relatively inexpensive, second hand bass should do the trick.

Vocal PA, stands etc., second hand again, though it might be worth looking at getting a new mic or two.

Maybe even look at an electronic drum kit, and plug it into the PA.

• Like 2

You can't really go wrong with the SM58. That's about as much as I know about mics and vocals though!

If the setup is just to stay in that room then maybe look at what old trace combo you could get? Built like tanks, reliable, they sound good and you can pick them up pretty cheap nowadays. A Sire P (can't remember their exact model) is another reliable choice that you can't go too far wrong with

Have a look at what is on your local gumtree or Facebook marketplace, or any adverts on bass chat that are local. 

Definetly a Shute SM58 for vocals but buy new from a reputable retailer as there are a lot of fakes around. 

Bass Amp - you are on the money with the Ashdon, but as has been said Trace Elliot or Ampeg rigs going 2nd hand would be worth a shout, just look out of crackling pots. 

Bass - Sires are a great shout, should be able to get a 2nd hand one for under £300. But don't rule out modern squiers especially the Vintage Modified series as they are great instruments for not a lot of money. Alternatively you can't go wrong with ANY yamaha bass you can find in your budget. 

To be honest with mics you could do a lot worse than the Behringer XM8500. Not quite as middy as the SM58 but sound very good and at around £15 a piece you can kit out a whole band for less than the SM58, and also not such a big deal if one gets dented.