Why become a member? ×

NBD: Sandberg California Fretless

Rob MacKillop

Bought new from Bass Direct, it arrived this evening. I did not expect it to be so good - I don't why I thought that - but it is really an incredible bass for the money: £1300. I swapped the steel strings for La Bella Deep Talking black nylon tapes, and they fit perfectly. Everything about this bass reeks of quality. The hardware is all very good, and the setup could not be bettered. Superb fingerboard, best I've had on a fretless.

I did wonder if a 30" string length would provide a good fretless sound, but it most certainly does. 

One dislike: described as "faded red", but turns out be more pink-red. I might consider changing that, though it's a big hassle to do so. But I'll definitely be keeping it.

Full name: Sandberg California II V84 Lionel Candy Apple Red "Soft Core Aged" - quite a mouthful. 

Pictured next to my theorbo...😎

bass and theorbo.jpg

fingerboard.jpg

• Like 10

• 1 year later...

Holy thread resurrection 🙃

I posted a wanted ad for a fretless 4 string 30" earlier in the week and Alain, aka ead sent me a link to this very bass on Ebay, which I hadn't seen of course; took me about 5 minutes to look at the pics, find this very thread, think a bit and press buy it now😍

Had a good exchange with Rob on Ebay and he wrapped it in enough bubble wrap to cover a michelin man so Parcelforce didn't damage it and it arrived this morning as promised

So nice, so very, very nice. I am no longer sad at selling the Status necked Jazz back to three, as I had a noodle on that over the weekend before packing it and had some remorse. All gone now, 30" is where I am at now

Bass is slightly more light aged than when Rob bought it which I am happy about, I don't have to worry about marking it so it will be out of its case and ready to play a lot. I might even get slightly proficient 😀

IMG_0397[1].JPG

Edited by Aidan63
spelling
  • Like 4