Why become a member? ×

SOLD. 1979 USA Kramer DMZ4001 Aluminium necked bass with case. 4.8kg. Excellent Condition.
£795
Bidston, Wirral

vinorange

Up for sale is my 1979 Kramer DMZ4001 aluminium necked bass in really good condition for its year with just a few bits of surface lacquer wear in the usual places.
These have a reputation for 2 things; clean, pure tones and being a boat anchor. Mine weighs in at a very reasonable 4.8kg and has no neck dive, partly because the badass 1 bridge (now a rarity in itself), helps the balance so part 2 of their reputation isn’t really true. However the other is true. It has the cleanest, deepest, most resonant and ringing E tone I think I’ve ever heard. It beats the modulus and status basses I owned for ringing, clear tone all the way up the neck. It sounds fantastic and plays really well too with a reasonably low action, no buzz and certainly no dead spots from the aluminium neck / Ebanol board. 

This model is passive,  has the famed Dimarzio Dual Coil P bass pickup on board with volume / tone and a single switch for coil tapping (I think). The switch effectively is a bass cut / boost and when boosted it sounds amazing.

Worth adding that the neck is a svelte 39mm at the nut and I just noticed it’s got a zero fret! It really has very little fret wear having had just one owner prior to me who played it for 4 years in a country band and then, due to musical differences, gave up and stored it.

As ever, I’m hankering after something else so last in first out unfortunately. 
If anyone wants to trade a Mesa Boogie 400 / 400+ or an Ampeg SVT 2 / 2 pro then that’s what I’d be after in trade otherwise it’s a straight sale.

It has a “vintage” case which is tatty but does protect it - not that it needs protecting. It’s that tough that even ParcelForce couldn’t harm it.......

Im on the Wirral but will post it or can meet up or deliver within a reasonable distance (up to 75 miles ish....)

Thanks for looking.

Edited by vinorange
  • Like 5

These were great !... I had one of the darker brown coloured versions with a squareish chrome PU, this would've been in the early 80s.

This one's at a very good price compared to a few others I've noticed recently at well over a grand, I'd have been very tempted had I not just got the "stingray" !

21 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

These were great !... I had one of the darker brown coloured versions with a squareish chrome PU, this would've been in the early 80s.

This one's at a very good price compared to a few others I've noticed recently at well over a grand, I'd have been very tempted had I not just got the "stingray" !

I have to admit I didn’t know where to price it as there are a couple in America for around the same price. UK prices do seem a bit higher. Ah well, if it hits eBay I’ll review the price.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, vinorange said:

I have to admit I didn’t know where to price it as there are a couple in America for around the same price. UK prices do seem a bit higher. Ah well, if it hits eBay I’ll review the price.

Tbh I think your price is fair and about right 👍...there's some really stupidly priced stuff out there , and it's easy to get carried away with what people are asking on ebay, bearing in mind much of it will never sell for the money they're wanting !

I remember at the time these came out, some people were very disparaging and spouted all sorts of rubbish about how an aluminium neck was no good, blah blah, they were a "love it or hate it" thing certainly !... I thought they were great, and it's good to see one again, hopefully someone will grab it and give it a good home !

• Like 2

Thanks @Hellzero very much appreciate the heads up and the sentiment there.

I was looking for one but having just bought a Mesa Subway ri gat over £3k i can't really justify a new bass as well.

Lovely looking bass too but GLWTS.

They are becoming quite rare and hard to find. Think your pricing is fair and i would have definitely taken it at that price.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

• MB1 locked this topic