Why become a member? ×

What's with the plastic finger tips??

39 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Doesn't actually help much with the fretting, but it gets plenty of interest from other bassists ...

My bad, thought we were talking about left hand blisters.... 

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

My bad, thought we were talking about left hand blisters.... 

I'd assumed blisters after a long lay off would be fretting hand but I guess the double bass guys get a bit of attrition on the plucking hand too 

Doesn't bother me as I'm a mostly pick/plec. type and luckily don't get blisters etc ( "where there's no sense there's no feeling" as mocking schoolteachers would say back in my day..)

Anyone got suggestions for split fingers ...they are basically split fissures and bass playing is probably the last thing I should be doing with this problem ...those gloves or finger tip things look interesting but do they work for this condition...it’s painful as hell, literally there can be blood on the strings at which point I have to stop playing. Finger tips on both hands are effected. 

• Sad 2

Dose of O'Keeffe's Working Hands stuff... (In most Chemist, Supermarkets) and those white cotton gloves overnight... Pricey but worth it, used it after cut fingers from gardening or motorcycle spannering etc. Bit stringent!

https://okeeffescompany.com/products/working-hands

And Soap rather than hand sanitizer...

I have just rediscovered good old Coal Tar / Tea Tree Soap rather than all these hand gel and shower gel... 

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Dose of O'Kieff's hand cream stuff and cotton gloves overnight...

Spot on! The O'Keefe's Working Hands  handcream is brilliant stuff, in the past my hands have been properly shredded doing manual work in 'orrible conditions type of thing, and the O'Keefe's works very well indeed.. if you also use it regularly once your hands are healed it goes a long way to preventing re occurrence too.. Highly recommended

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Dose of O'Keeffe's Working Hands stuff... 

Another vote for O'Keefe's.

I have a mild form of psoriasis which mainly affects my hands and the soles of my feet.

O'Keefes has been more effective at preventing and healing cracks in my fingertips and feet than anything I've ever been prescribed by a doctor.

Trick is to start using it when you start feeling the warning signs of your skin cracking, rather than wait for the cracks to appear.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Musicman666 said:

Yes ..it seems to have worked a treat ...thanks guys!

I'm really pleased it's helping! 👍  Another thing is to continue using it, maybe scaled down a bit, as "maintenance" even when symptoms have disappeared, hopefully that should stop it happening up again.   

• Like 1