Transcribing
Scales
Arpeggios
Playing cleanly with fingers
Strumming (with a pick naturally)
And a few songs here and there
Edit: Forgot to list improvising over chord progressions

Edited by Eight

[quote name='Faithless' post='448915' date='Mar 29 2009, 08:11 PM']I've just bought 'Berklee Method Electric Bass Studies' book. It attracted me, cuz (it looks) it is more about music, not technique, or other, not actually music-related stuff..

Anyone's into it, maybe [i]graduated [/i]it?[/quote]

Cool man - I just bought the Chord method one from Amazon - looks good and I need to work on my extended chord thingamys...

[url="http://www.berkleepress.com/catalog/product?product_id=11172"]http://www.berkleepress.com/catalog/product?product_id=11172[/url]

Cheers

Mike

Like golchen I'm still near base 1. I'm working on fixing my timing (ie placing notes correctly over each beat)
I don't seem to have a problem with pitch, I can find notes with my eyes shut , just rhythm. Too much concentrating on what point the notes occur at and too little on whether the metronome has gone
past that point already..

Reading is a different matter, I'm reading ed friedlands's Bass Grooves - I can read around stuff and learn it intellectually till the cows come home but thatisnt likely to help me here

Edited by Geek99

• 2 months later...

McGraham can you point me towards some of Hadriens best use of Arpeggios? I have to admit to only really listening to him properly for the first time yesterday and watched quite a few videos on youtube, mainly the ones where it was just him and a drummer to really hear what he is playing.

He is indeed fast and as read somewhere else he is quite harmonically advanced, although alot of his playing seems to involve the use of the symmetical scales (not saying this is a bad thing). I'm definitely going to transcribe some of his lines I liked; which is quite a few.

Other things I'm working on (still):
TIME (more use of a metronome)
TONE and intonation on the fretless
Wayne Krantz's "zone" practice and applying it to changes
Bebop chromatisism
Extended Arpeggios (with/without chromatisism)
Melodic Minor Harmony
Improving my repertoire of jazz tunes

Since I generally play alt rock-type music, I generally practice techniques that I never get to use at gigs, rehearsals etc, just to keep the instrument fresh and exciting. Generally been working on thumb technique, tapping and chord progressions just now.

Every now and then I'll do a few scales, arpeggios and modes, but I get fed up of them fairly quickly as it just reminds me of when I was having a miserable time playing double bass in orchestras and chamber groups! Its good to have the knowledge in the back of your head though that is for sure.

When I can't be bothered with any technique or theory, I tune down to about B, turn on a couple of overdrive pedals and just make some noise! Does it improve my technique? No, possibly even the reverse. But it is when I have the most fun!

New songs, been hard at work coming up with bass lines and practising the hell out of them. Itching to get some more gigs on the go - it's been 2 months since our last gig - definitely time to start road testing these new tunes.

lol! I wish I had some time at the moment to keep up my theory/reading practice, but my time's been devoted nonstop to learning 35 of The Jam's finest for my new band.

O yeah, and also teaching myself how to sing BV's to 'em all too...

and I'm halfway thru so far,

and the first gig is in 4weeks :lol: :D :) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

but it'll be fine...right?

Currently trying to learn all the words to my bands songs and learn to sing them whilst playing.
Trying to learn a bit of Bach atm, I'm getting bored of Rock cause most of it is too easy or too hard, nothing seems just beyond reach. If I get the time I may improve my slapping technique so I can learn to double thumb effectively

Currently I'm working on finding time to practice :)

I've learnt all the songs I need for my cover/tribute band so I'd like to get to working my way through all the books I've bought in the last year (The Bass Bible, Sight Reading, Bass Chords, Bach for Electric Bass).