Why become a member? ×

Staying in Manchester this weekend

I'd advise strongly against staying in Manchester at all if possible. However, if the stay is non-negotiable, you could do worse than a trip to:

(i) Music Ground (on Oxford Road opp. the BBC building)
(ii) Dawsons (music shop - on Portland Street opp. Britannia Hotel)
(iii) Rusholme for a fantastic curry - Rusholme is just past the University area - around 40 restaurants on Wilmslow Rd (a continuation of Oxford Rd - see above) - my personal favourite is the Punjab Tandoori - excellent Dosas, Paneer Tikka, and Shahi Paneer. Prices are extremely reasonable
(iv) URBIS gallery space - nice bar on the seventh or eighth floor - expensive but exclusive booze and a great view over the city
(v) Chinatown for the best value lunch in the city - lots of restaurants around George St and Faulkner St in the city centre offering a three course lunch for £5.50
(vi) my house to buy one of the lovely basses I'm selling (Fender Jazz '76; Fender Jazz Masterbuilt fretless; Sei Jazz 4?)

Good luck - pack a big umbrella and a stab-proof vest.

Cheers, Lozbass

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='lozbass' post='447102' date='Mar 27 2009, 12:15 PM']I'd advise strongly against staying in Manchester at all if possible. However, if the stay is non-negotiable, you could do worse than a trip to:

(iii) Rusholme for a fantastic curry - Rusholme is just past the University area - around 40 restaurants on Wilmslow Rd (a continuation of Oxford Rd - see above) - my personal favourite is the Punjab Tandoori - excellent Dosas, Paneer Tikka, and Shahi Paneer. Prices are extremely reasonable
(iv) URBIS gallery space - nice bar on the seventh or eighth floor - expensive but exclusive booze and a great view over the city
(v) Chinatown for the best value lunch in the city - lots of restaurants around George St and Faulkner St in the city centre offering a three course lunch for £5.50
(vi) my house to buy one of the lovely basses I'm selling (Fender Jazz '76; Fender Jazz Masterbuilt fretless; Sei Jazz 4?)

Cheers, Lozbass[/quote]

You beat me to it! I was going to say "I recommend getting the f*ck out of Manchester"! :)

In all seriousness however, I always seem to gravitate towards Oldham Street and the [b]Night and Day[/b] and [b]Dry Bar[/b]. Seen some wicked bands at both of those places.

[quote name='lozbass' post='447102' date='Mar 27 2009, 12:15 PM']I'd advise strongly against staying in Manchester at all if possible. However, if the stay is non-negotiable, you could do worse than a trip to:

Cheers, Lozbass[/quote]

MB1. :)
"You sure your not Gordon Burns?"......Brolly!...(Just in case!)....
....wearing a vest with shorts will definately get you noticed in the canal street area! :rolleyes:

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='447282' date='Mar 27 2009, 02:22 PM']Curry Mile..... my fave is "The Spicy Hut". Beware the rubber chicken however :-)[/quote]

The Shahndar is rather good too!....No Rubber Chickens there! :rolleyes:

[quote name='MB1' post='447297' date='Mar 27 2009, 02:32 PM']MB1. :)
The Shahndar is rather good too!....No Rubber Chickens there! :D[/quote]
My regular has been the Lal Qila. Started going in there when it first opened and was very sparsely decorated (and it was only 1 shop width - before they bought the place next door and knocked through). They do a luuuuuurvely Chicken Karahi :rolleyes:

[quote name='Protium' post='447473' date='Mar 27 2009, 04:27 PM']Avoid music ground on oxford road. Go to Johnny Roadhouse instead :)[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
Do Both!....there on the same road!.....get a pastie from Greggs!
....Try Dawsons!...............Cuts to ball of crabgrass rolling down a dusty deserted western town! :D ......Maybe Not!

[quote name='DanOwens' post='447585' date='Mar 27 2009, 06:41 PM']Night & Day for 'Good'* bands
Matt & Phreds for Jazz
42nd St for 'Cool' Indie
Satan's Hollow for Punk and Metal
Paradise Factory for Dance & Electro
Tom's Chop House for Bitter

Dan

*Subject to personal preference[/quote]

Paradise Factory's closed now I think

[quote name='MB1' post='447260' date='Mar 27 2009, 02:06 PM']....wearing a vest with shorts will definately get you noticed in the canal street area! :)[/quote]

I did laugh when I heard someone had been crossing out the C on some of the street signs :rolleyes:

[quote name='Alun' post='448028' date='Mar 28 2009, 12:46 PM']I did laugh when I heard someone had been crossing out the C on some of the street signs :rolleyes:[/quote]

.....And the S's for a while it was known as " anal treet!" :D

The OP Bop on Friday and then the Cellar Disco at the Union, followed by a kebab from Abduls. I went to University in Manchester 87 - 90. I found out in the last 2 weeks someone I knew in the first year went on to be the g&&&&&t in Radiohead. No skin of my nose I only do prog rock, Neil Young and alt-country. :rolleyes: Now I'm watching Emimem mmm... and he's talkin' like a black man. WTF?????????? A Tipton accent would be more advised :)

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='448454' date='Mar 29 2009, 12:45 AM']The OP Bop on Friday and then the Cellar Disco at the Union, followed by a kebab from Abduls. I went to University in Manchester 87 - 90. I found out in the last 2 weeks someone I knew in the first year went on to be the g&&&&&t in Radiohead. No skin of my nose I only do prog rock, Neil Young and alt-country. :rolleyes: Now I'm watching Emimem mmm... and he's talkin' like a black man. WTF?????????? A Tipton accent would be more advised :)[/quote]

MB1. :D
What You Talkin' 'Bout?...Willis? ;)

Guys, rather than me specifically advertise a business on here....just if anyone wants a place to stay in Manchester.....

My wife owns a "Serviced Apartments" business in the centre of Manchester which can be rented for just one night or as long as you want. For those who don't know what serviced apartments are, just imagine booking into a hotel but getting a full apartment instead.

So PM me and I'll forward contact details for you.

Cheers,
Pete.