Why become a member? ×

Anyone here own an Orange AD200 Mk 3?

ashevans09

I've started to see these used a bit more and I'm liking what I've heard so far...so! Does anyone here own one? How do they perform and is it the kind of kit that will make me want to trade in my Mesa?

I've heard they're one trick ponies and lack headroom but on the other hand people seem to swear by them... they look damn good though :)

I've just acquired one.

I tested mine against a Ampeg SVT-CL...and the tone was, imo, much better.

Eveyone goes on about this 200W thing. No way does this amp lack headroom. If you play rock, it matters even less, because once you crank the gain to past around half way, then we are talking awesome natural gain and punch.

Im very happy with mine. And yeah, it looks amazing.

Bands like Converge and ETID I use them, oh and Eagles of Death Metal. If they play big shows with it, anyone can. Pair it with a proper cab and its VERY VERY loud.

Thats my thoughts. Try one out, and I bet you will like it :)

Sounds nice with an 8x10 (Ampeg, or I imagine one of the new Orange ones that are due) or the Orange 4x10+1x15.

It goes from awesome fat bass warmth to insane gain and grit/fuzz.

:rolleyes:

I've owned one for a while and i play it through Aguilar DB cabs, which in my opinion are better than the Orange OBC 410s, to my ears at least.

The no headroom is BS. Who would say that?

I like simple amps and guitars with as few knobs, switches and pickups as possible. This is a simple amp, which sounds great when you first plug in (I use a US Precision btw). Thick fat valve tone, that very much does the job.

[quote name='obbm' post='446705' date='Mar 26 2009, 11:18 PM']Sounds really good with a Bergantino NV610.[/quote]
Hi OBBM,
What do you reckon about these new Orange amps being made with PCB's rather than the old turret board & point to point wiring - Any significant difference to the sound do you reckon?
I was reading an American site waxing lyrical about the difference, but does it make [i]that[/i] much of a difference?

Regards,
JTB

My mate who plays in another band came into the rehersal room last night to try my ad200b out and he was sold in a nanosecond.

I love my orange. Simple with a rock solid tone. Plenty of headroom for me and i play in a loud rock band.. Any more wattage and you're not going to get the full growl of the power section. 200w is perfect.

Defo want to check out the bass terror as well.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='447053' date='Mar 27 2009, 11:46 AM']Hi OBBM,
What do you reckon about these new Orange amps being made with PCB's rather than the old turret board & point to point wiring - Any significant difference to the sound do you reckon?
I was reading an American site waxing lyrical about the difference, but does it make [i]that[/i] much of a difference?

Regards,
JTB[/quote]

Anyone who has played in a loud band for any length of time will have hearing deficiencies of some sort, come to think of it a high proportion of the population do, so whose word are you going to believe. I suppose there is someone, somewhere with "golden ears" who might be able to tell some difference.

I can't hear any difference but then my hearing is cr@p and has been for years. I was brought up with valve equipment and just love the warmth of the tone. My AD200B sounds great to me and that is what matters.

[quote name='obbm' post='447408' date='Mar 27 2009, 03:41 PM']Anyone who has played in a loud band for any length of time will have hearing deficiencies of some sort, come to think of it a high proportion of the population do, so whose word are you going to believe. I suppose there is someone, somewhere with "golden ears" who might be able to tell some difference.

I can't hear any difference but then my hearing is cr@p and has been for years. I was brought up with valve equipment and just love the warmth of the tone. My AD200B sounds great to me and that is what matters.[/quote]
Pretty much what I was thinking!

So - Any chance someones got one, and kind enough, to let me have a listen to in the NW London area?

Jon.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='447053' date='Mar 27 2009, 11:46 AM']Hi OBBM,

Regards,
JTB[/quote]
in makes a difference in that PTP is generally more reliable than a pcb and far easier to service, i don't see how it'd make a difference tonally

I agree on the correct growl at 200W. There is a reason for it being 200W...to get the sound you want without having to go to stadium loud levels.

There seems to be a reoccuring theme about the 200W argument. It tends to be from the bassists who want tiny little amps that produce 1200W but are solid state/completely sterile.

Check out the Orange website and have a look on their forum. I know its more of a guitar argument, but a lot of them prefer lower wattage amps to get that sound without it making your ears bleed.

As everyone knows...its about the sound/tone. And that is where this amps excels. Simple, effective, loud and rock n roll.

And it is loud...dont worry about that. Like I said, a lot of pro bands use them. It excels even more with the right cabs.

Had any luck trying one?

[quote name='jonthebass' post='447428' date='Mar 27 2009, 03:55 PM']Pretty much what I was thinking!

So - Any chance someones got one, and kind enough, to let me have a listen to in the NW London area?

Jon.[/quote]

I shall be using mine at a gig in Guildford next Saturday if that's any help.