Why become a member? ×

Bands and band members - aaagh!

Jakester

39 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I think I’ve been lucky both with my last band and my current band.

The current band is a classic rock covers band with no vocals. It’s not a gigging band, just mates getting together once a fortnight and for various reasons (all of which happened before I joined) there are no vocals. We had a mate come and do some singing for us on Thu and the general consensus was that it put us all off and we prefer it instrumental. Nothing to do with his ability mind, we just prefer it instruments only. Probably helps that we’ve chosen difficult songs to play, there’s a lot of work in them so it doesn’t get boring.

The last band was a 3 piece originals punk/Oi band, all of us completely committed. I only left as the constant gigging and touring combined with a full time job got too much for me. 

So two bands completely different but the same in one respect, all band members wanting the same from that current band. 

Sounds like fun Lozz, what sort of stuff do ya do??

On 14/05/2021 at 01:35, uk_lefty said:

I bet you love saying that! ☺️👍

NO! (yes) It was for historical perspective! 

As wont of a 3 page post gone slightly off the Kilt(here) so as I might add: 3 musicians Sober (that means also too no weed or whatever they're calling it these days) I'm here in Jersey (New) looking for a couple a corrigible blokes, young (to haul my equipment) drummer, and either a guitarist or synth player that knows how to go off the edge. No experience necessary other than noise complaints. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Sounds like fun Lozz, what sort of stuff do ya do??

Led Zep, Rainbow, Kansas, Dio, that sort of stuff Russ. Plenty of timing changes and fiddly little riffs/runs. You can certainly tell they were on drugs when they wrote that material. It’s made me a much better musician in the year & a bit I’ve been doing it too, wouldn’t have thought I was capable of stuff like that a few years back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I think I’ve been lucky both with my last band and my current band.

The current band is a classic rock covers band with no vocals. It’s not a gigging band, just mates getting together once a fortnight and for various reasons (all of which happened before I joined) there are no vocals. We had a mate come and do some singing for us on Thu and the general consensus was that it put us all off and we prefer it instrumental. Nothing to do with his ability mind, we just prefer it instruments only. Probably helps that we’ve chosen difficult songs to play, there’s a lot of work in them so it doesn’t get boring.

The last band was a 3 piece originals punk/Oi band, all of us completely committed. I only left as the constant gigging and touring combined with a full time job got too much for me. 

So two bands completely different but the same in one respect, all band members wanting the same from that current band. 

My curiosity has been answered above.

I'm intrigued.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

37 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Led Zep, Rainbow, Kansas, Dio, that sort of stuff Russ. Plenty of timing changes and fiddly little riffs/runs. You can certainly tell they were on drugs when they wrote that material. It’s made me a much better musician in the year & a bit I’ve been doing it too, wouldn’t have thought I was capable of stuff like that a few years back.

Love playing Kansas songs. Was a big fan back in 70's / 80's.

4 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

The problem we had was the guitarist was so stoned most of the time he'd forget practice even if I phoned him in the morning to remind him. The singer was doing so much ketamin and coke she was always getting sick or she'd be just plain hungover. 

If they were particularly good or even just good people to be around I could forgive it. I soon realised the guitarist only knew three chords which weren't power chords and the singers lyrics were just absolute gibberish.

That’s a shame. I’ve worked with a few people over the years who thought it was more important to be “rock ‘n’ roll” than put time and effort into developing their musical skills. I’ve also known a number of incredibly talented performers whose abilities were destroyed or lives cut short by drink and drugs.