Why become a member? ×

The Onion, Music.

stewblack

I was pondering in an idle moment how popular music can be peeled, layer by layer, from today's big new thing all the way back to the caveman banging on a hollow log. 

Simultaneously I wondered why, if I listen to the music which influenced a favourite artist, I seldom like it or even see the join. 

So have you ever peeled back the skin and found you liked or even preferred what lived underneath? 

I can give one example. The Two Tone craze of the late 70s is directly responsible for my love of 60s Jamaican ska. However, peel that back to Mento and I don't dig it So I manage one step! Once. 

57 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I was pondering in an idle moment how popular music can be peeled, layer by layer, from today's big new thing all the way back to the caveman banging on a hollow log. 

Simultaneously I wondered why, if I listen to the music which influenced a favourite artist, I seldom like it or even see the join. 

So have you ever peeled back the skin and found you liked or even preferred what lived underneath? 

I can give one example. The Two Tone craze of the late 70s is directly responsible for my love of 60s Jamaican ska. However, peel that back to Mento and I don't dig it So I manage one step! Once. 

It’s a shame you weren’t able to go “one step beyond”, Stew! 

I got into Weather Report in my teens in the late 70s which led me to explore other Jazz-related groups/players.

Over the years I’ve grown to like (in some cases love) some of the artists that came before but when I go as far back as some of the big band/swing stuff that’s when I hear less that I like...

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Sometimes quite the opposite, genres that I quite like often morph into something that I don't like occasionally they'll suddenly morph again into something listenable.  60s R&B (OK) and Jazz (not OK) >  funk (OK) > disco (not OK) > Hip Hop (OK), add some dubstep (OK) and contemporary R&B and  come up with drum and bass (no thanks).  Obviously this is a little more simplistic than the roots of the genres but I think you'll get my drift.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

I'm a big lover of bread but not in it's raw state of some flour,salt,yeast and water.

That analogy doesn't work - surely the precursor to bread would be some form of flatbread, rather than the individual ingredients?

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 1