Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jazz decisions

Musicman20

Right, after my problems with PMT, I now have choice and also my deposit back!

Im first thinking about colour for a USA 4-string Jazz.

I like black, but Ive been told it can shows makrs and scratches easily.

I also really like white. Especially with the scratchplates you get with white.

Bear in mind i'm definitely going for a maple neck, what colours do people think look good on the new versions of the Jazz's?

Also, and more importantly, where is a RELIABLE place that will sell me a new Jazz that isn't a demo/marked etc? With my problems with PMT, im very dubious about every shop now.

The prices I've seen are around £829.00 on gak.

Thanks

Get on the train and go to Electromusic in Donny....failing that...if you drive go to NorthAllerton,the guys in there (Tinman knows the shops name) are diamonds,its a small shop off the main drag...

Ive a black P from 96,its dinged to f***,and it does not show,it just depends on the undercoats for the finish....

Olympic white/Tort/Maple is my favourite.

GAK are Ok if you're determined to buy mail order. That's where I got this one from. I don't know if they give them a going over before they ship them out but this one played great straight out of the box.

Edit: I've made the assumption that you're gonna buy mail order. Don't know if that's right. If not +1 to ARGH's post. The only time I've dealt with Electro was when I bought a Trace head off them many years ago and they were very friendly and helpful. I'm sure most places will match GAK's price.

Edited by AndyMartin

[quote name='Musicman20' post='441982' date='Mar 22 2009, 08:13 PM']Right, after my problems with PMT, I now have choice and also my deposit back!

Im first thinking about colour for a USA 4-string Jazz.

I like black, but Ive been told it can shows makrs and scratches easily.

I also really like white. Especially with the scratchplates you get with white.

Bear in mind i'm definitely going for a maple neck, what colours do people think look good on the new versions of the Jazz's?

Also, and more importantly, where is a RELIABLE place that will sell me a new Jazz that isn't a demo/marked etc? With my problems with PMT, im very dubious about every shop now.

The prices I've seen are around £829.00 on gak.

Thanks[/quote]

In my experience the ONLY way to be sure is to play instruments yourself and check you like them. There are variables in woods and finishes that one person can love and another can hate. Its really subjective. I know what you're saying and obviously you're fishing for a good deal but if you can afford to be patient and play loads of basses then you are much more likely to get somethin you're happy with. Hope you're happy with the next order anyway mate.

Cheers.

[quote name='ARGH' post='441997' date='Mar 22 2009, 08:24 PM']snip...if you drive go to NorthAllerton,the guys in there (Tinman knows the shops name) are diamonds,its a small shop off the main drag...snip[/quote]

+1 to that, the guys in there are brilliant. The name of the shop is Rockbox :)

I can appreciate why the experience with PMT was a downer, but I can't see why you're so hung up over buying a bass that's absolutely pristine. It will get damaged - that much is a certainty, so go second hand and spare yourself the heartbreak when it gets a ding.

Buy it from a shop,it may cost a few quid more than mail order but I feel its a better thing to do.You should end up with a properly set up instrument and somewhere to take it back to if you have a problem.
Shops give us real value for money although we don't always realise it.
Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing,don't be one of those.
Also our shops need our support more than ever.
Good luck with your purchase and by rights youll still be enjoying long after you've forgotten how much
it cost you