Why become a member? ×

Trying out for a band

charic

Don't get too stressed about it. There'll be plenty more bands to try out for. Bands are like busses and women. There's always another one along soon.

The main thing that has always helped me is to learn the material. Practise it until you are completely comfortable with it.

Listen to the drummer and lock in with the bass drum. Getting tight with the drummer will impress them more than doing lots of fancy stuff, but if the drummer can't keep time with the bass drum then you are probably better off looking for another band.

They should also treat you with respect. You are gonna have to spend a lot of time with them and how the various band members get on together will be veryb important.

Edited by PaulMartin

Hopefully they've given you some tunes to learn and you've got them well practiced.

Other than that - just be yourself. Seriously. It may sound naff but they're trying out for you just as much as you are for them.

Just be relaxed and do your thing. If it works out - excellent, if not - don't worry.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='PaulMartin' post='46916' date='Aug 17 2007, 05:47 PM']Don't get too stressed about it. There'll be plenty more bands to try out for. Bands are like busses and women. There's always another one along soon[/quote]

+1 also do as much preperation as you can, get a recording of their stuff or the covers they do as soon as poss and learn them properly, if there isnt time at least do cheat sheets, and remember music is supposed to be fun :)

Edited by subaudio

It's already been said but have the mindset that you are auditioning them as much as they are you! All of the above, especially the fun bit...

Other than that:

Turn up on time and make sure you know where the rehearsal/audition venue is (visit it before hand).
Check your tuning (make sure they aren't in some form of drop tuning, they should tell you).
Have spares - leads, strings, fuses, batteries etc.

If it doesn't feel right for you be polite at the end and say thanks but no thanks. You'd be amazed how often you will cross paths with musicians over the years, so don't burn bridges and p*ss people off.

Edited by warwickhunt

Thanks for the advice so far, these guys seem awesome, its been cool chatting to the guitarist so far and im looking forward to it. And admittedly a tad nervous (this happens still although i played my first gig infront of 200 ppl 4 weeks into playing bass :S).

Ive been listening to the music (or song) that they have on myspace and it seems easy enough to write stuff to, just play along kinda thing and add a fill where you can. Any tips on working out runs on short notice btw? Im hoping to be able to add a bit of dave ellefson to the group :)

Have a listen if ya want: www.myspace.com/screaminunison

i think theyre looking for a new singer too atm.

Thanks for the advice so far guys!

The non-bass playing element is a major factor in getting the gig. Bass-wise you're either good enough for them or not (and I guess you know the answer to that already), most of it boils down to whether they like you and you like them. As others have said, just be yourself and see what happens.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='47811' date='Aug 20 2007, 04:05 PM']Also, when encountering a new drummer I find it helpful to position myself where I can see their right foot...[/quote]

Yeah I remember playing in a band with a kung fu drummer, keep your eye on their fists too :)

Seriously though, there's some good advice on this thread, follow it and you'll be fine.

Pete.

Well apparently we have a gig in october, thats IF we manage to get a singer by then. I was really comfortable with the band and it definately helped when they kept asking if I was sure I had only been playing a year and a half :)