Jump to content
Thunderpaws

What’s this? Jazz bass bridge/pickup strip

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone. 
 

just browsing the guitarguitar website and saw this stunning jazz bass...anyhoo, noticed this strange strip running between the bridge and bridge pickup...any ideas what it is?

 

 

2F6EE9FD-2041-4F9D-AF91-E04BA042ABD4.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Thunderpaws said:

Hi everyone. 
 

just browsing the guitarguitar website and saw this stunning jazz bass...anyhoo, noticed this strange strip running between the bridge and bridge pickup...any ideas what it is?

 

 

2F6EE9FD-2041-4F9D-AF91-E04BA042ABD4.png

Yep, earthing strip or 'wire', and in case you weren't aware........now usually found under the bridge as a wire going through a hole drilled through to the control cavity earthing the bridge/strings to the bas's earth output on the jack plug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fender 62 reissues came with a grounding strip , they didn’t do anything they were decorative, the wire was under the bridge 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

The fender 62 reissues came with a grounding strip , they didn’t do anything they were decorative, the wire was under the bridge 

Not “form follows function” then 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, you’re all wrong. This was originally a feature to prevent passing slugs from taking a shortcut to the other side of the body under the strings between the pickup and bridge. It doesn’t happen now of course, so the strip is unnecessary but it was a common occurrence in the early 60s.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Sorry, you’re all wrong. This was originally a feature to prevent passing slugs from taking a shortcut to the other side of the body under the strings between the pickup and bridge. It doesn’t happen now of course, so the strip is unnecessary but it was a common occurrence in the early 60s.

Of course, you're right.. before the advent of electricity, the term grounding (from the old Norse Grundig) referred to impeding the passage of slugs. Maybe Leo Fender had viking blood?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Sorry, you’re all wrong. This was originally a feature to prevent passing slugs from taking a shortcut to the other side of the body under the strings between the pickup and bridge. It doesn’t happen now of course, so the strip is unnecessary but it was a common occurrence in the early 60s.

 

21 hours ago, hubrad said:

Of course, you're right.. before the advent of electricity, the term grounding (from the old Norse Grundig) referred to impeding the passage of slugs. Maybe Leo Fender had Viking blood?

People are so knowledgeable on this forum...and generous in sharing their knowledge...

I didn't know this..😉😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...