Jump to content
fretmeister

Anyone ruptured a tendon in their plucking hand?

Recommended Posts

You can't really lose - you don't have to give up finger style to try picking (unless you wreck your left hand in a bike crash - but that's just ne, taking everything to extremes again!)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

You can't really lose - you don't have to give up finger style to try picking (unless you wreck your left hand in a bike crash - but that's just ne, taking everything to extremes again!)

Don't put nightmares in my head Dave 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Don't put nightmares in my head Dave 😂

No, that's my nightmare, you don't need to worry at all. 

 

Unless you're a burly 6ft bloke on a Harley Davidson in broad daylight, of course….

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FinnDave said:

No, that's my nightmare, you don't need to worry at all. 

 

Unless you're a burly 6ft bloke on a Harley Davidson in broad daylight, of course….

5'9" maybe less now that i'm getting older so i'm safe Dave ..........touch wood of course 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

5'9" maybe less now that i'm getting older so i'm safe Dave ..........touch wood of course 😀

Just remember not to ride with your lights on - it must have been the headlight that made me invisible. Didn't stop the passenger in the car that hit me from telling the police that I had no lights on (it was broad daylight) but when I was interviewed I pointed out that the lights on Harleys are wired to come on with the ignition...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Just remember not to ride with your lights on - it must have been the headlight that made me invisible. Didn't stop the passenger in the car that hit me from telling the police that I had no lights on (it was broad daylight) but when I was interviewed I pointed out that the lights on Harleys are wired to come on with the ignition...

Had a few near misses over the years but i've got to an age where i can recognise the signs now. I always go for eye contact with car driver and if i don't feel as tho i've got it i back right off and look for a get out just in case.

I would however say i've probably been lucky as far as bike is concerned. Either that or i'm just overly cautious.

Only ever had one accident when i was leaving a roundabout and a car came up the inside of a taxi and ran into the side of me, landed on his bonnet and down onto road and was pushed for what seemed like ages but probably just a few feet. Lucky that it was a mini or it would have gone right over me. No serious injuries just severe bruising internally and externally. Good sturdy bike gear also helped, so the nurses told me at hospital when they had to remove it all. 

Because my wife is always pillion i ride even more carefully these days plus i'm older.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, Dave, that's why I  can't ride anymore. I'd had 40 years on two wheels and no accidents and I considered myself a good rider - always aware of everything around me, but to this day I have no idea where she came from - totally out of the blue. I concluded as I recovered that my carefully cultivated all round awareness had failed me and it was time to stop. Took me a while to reach that conclusion, as I was still in  wheelchair when I got my mate to drive me to Southampton where I bought a lovely Evo Wide Glide and got it back to a local workshop for fettling, but when the bike was ready, I just couldn't face it. I still see it around here from time to time - bloody good bike!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

To be honest, Dave, that's why I  can't ride anymore. I'd had 40 years on two wheels and no accidents and I considered myself a good rider - always aware of everything around me, but to this day I have no idea where she came from - totally out of the blue. I concluded as I recovered that my carefully cultivated all round awareness had failed me and it was time to stop. Took me a while to reach that conclusion, as I was still in  wheelchair when I got my mate to drive me to Southampton where I bought a lovely Evo Wide Glide and got it back to a local workshop for fettling, but when the bike was ready, I just couldn't face it. I still see it around here from time to time - bloody good bike!

I'd be of the same opinion Dave. If i get too big a scare or near miss i might end up calling it a day. I know my senses are slowing with age even in the car i notice it. 

Anyway best stop derailing the thread for bikes LOL

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something interesting I have discovered. Muscle memory is disrupted for my left hand when I use a pick in the right hand.

The left hand isn't doing anything new at all, but it seems the right hand doing new stuff affects the left. I'm making mistakes with the left hand, sometimes even when the right hand has played without a mistake.

 

Very odd!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Something interesting I have discovered. Muscle memory is disrupted for my left hand when I use a pick in the right hand.

The left hand isn't doing anything new at all, but it seems the right hand doing new stuff affects the left. I'm making mistakes with the left hand, sometimes even when the right hand has played without a mistake.

 

Very odd!

It’s the world of picking mate - muting and stopping strings ringing is a whole different ball game, when to palm, when to use the fret hand, up/downstroke - it’s great fun.

What is cool is getting harmonics using your plucking hand, instead of the usual way of gently fretting on the fret hand.

Keep going!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2021 at 13:04, Cuzzie said:

It’s the world of picking mate - muting and stopping strings ringing is a whole different ball game, when to palm, when to use the fret hand, up/downstroke - it’s great fun.

What is cool is getting harmonics using your plucking hand, instead of the usual way of gently fretting on the fret hand.

Keep going!

To be fair it's not as frustrating as having to wipe my derrière with my left hand.

That's just wrong! :D 

 

Annoyingly the volume control on my Sandberg gets in the way now - the splint knocks against it. I never use the mid control so I might remove that completely and move the vol, leaving the first hole empty, then have Vol / Bal / stacked treble and bass.

 

I've also just discovered Dug's KXM side project. Very nice, haven't heard George Lynch for years!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

To be fair it's not as frustrating as having to wipe my derrière with my left hand.

That's just wrong! :D 

 

Annoyingly the volume control on my Sandberg gets in the way now - the splint knocks against it. I never use the mid control so I might remove that completely and move the vol, leaving the first hole empty, then have Vol / Bal / stacked treble and bass.

 

I've also just discovered Dug's KXM side project. Very nice, haven't heard George Lynch for years!

I am all for simplicity!

I cannot believe I didn’t tell you about KXM - remiss of me - Breakout is probably one of the best rock songs ever, GL’s solo is so melodic and perfect for the song.

Check Supershine as anothe dUg project - 1 album - great stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will do that!

 

I bought all 3 KXM albums, and the first Pinnick / Gales / Pridgen album.

Only listened to the first KXM one so far.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PGP is also really really good as well.

I like the KXM format for recording - they generally get together for about 12 days, no pre-written material - let’s see what happens and out pops some great stuff.

Lack of live music aside, it’s a shame they would probably never tour, I think Korn are still a little too big for that 

Edited by Cuzzie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been looking at vids of pick players and I was surprised to discover that several of the metal guys who use a pick didn't seem to bother with palm muting.

Jason Newsted for example - his hand is hardly ever near the bridge even for parts where I would expect there to be lots of muting to go with the guitars.

I don't know if that was just because of him inheriting Cliff Burton's bass parts and trying to keep the fingerstyle influence a little.

 

There does seem to be a difference between live and studio though. When recording he's sitting and seems to be far closer to the bridge or actively muting.

 

I'm currently trying to record a tune that I used to play finger style only and I keep changing my mind about not using palm muting at all or just sticking a little bit in.

Ah well - keeps me busy I suppose!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I've been looking at vids of pick players and I was surprised to discover that several of the metal guys who use a pick didn't seem to bother with palm muting.

Jason Newsted for example - his hand is hardly ever near the bridge even for parts where I would expect there to be lots of muting to go with the guitars.

I don't know if that was just because of him inheriting Cliff Burton's bass parts and trying to keep the fingerstyle influence a little.

 

There does seem to be a difference between live and studio though. When recording he's sitting and seems to be far closer to the bridge or actively muting.

 

I'm currently trying to record a tune that I used to play finger style only and I keep changing my mind about not using palm muting at all or just sticking a little bit in.

Ah well - keeps me busy I suppose!

 

So I would say to add to that when recording, always be sat down, it allows you to be more accurate, and that is where the money is - live is more about the vibe.

I seem to often have the little finger edge of my hand providing a bit of muting without the classic mute sound as that is how my hand falls naturally in my playing position.

Busy is good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm generally a fingerstyle player but when i use my index finger like a pick i tend to mute using the edge of my little finger and hand.  That's more to stop other strings vibrating excessively. I would add that i do recognise a specific mute sound at the bridge end where its more of a dulled down sound.

When playing like that i don't have a lot of right hand movement like some pick players so maybe its a different thing altogether. I tend to lock my little finger to either pick up lower edge or G string. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit premature here...i played with a thumb splint on my left hand for a good bit till i tried some compression gloves on and so far so good. Once you have your splint removed and want to try a right hand glove (as i dont need it) give me a shout & i'll send it. Their fingerless & stop roughly an inch from finger tips

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/01/2021 at 12:18, Dov65 said:

A bit premature here...i played with a thumb splint on my left hand for a good bit till i tried some compression gloves on and so far so good. Once you have your splint removed and want to try a right hand glove (as i dont need it) give me a shout & i'll send it. Their fingerless & stop roughly an inch from finger tips

Thank you!

 

My next appointment is in a week. If things are going well the splint will be off and I'll have to tape it during the day and splint at night.

If that happens then apparently I'll be asked to start doing simple things with that hand / finger again. Typing / writing etc to get it moving a bit. Nothing heavy like lifting kettles with that hand though.

 

My appreciation for pick playing has increased massively, but it still doesn't sound like me so I'm hoping after physio I'll be able to go back to playing fingerstyle.

Although I have confirmed my past experience that I can play and sing at the same time with a pick but not with fingers. Weird!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fretmeister said:

Thank you!

 

My next appointment is in a week. If things are going well the splint will be off and I'll have to tape it during the day and splint at night.

If that happens then apparently I'll be asked to start doing simple things with that hand / finger again. Typing / writing etc to get it moving a bit. Nothing heavy like lifting kettles with that hand though.

 

My appreciation for pick playing has increased massively, but it still doesn't sound like me so I'm hoping after physio I'll be able to go back to playing fingerstyle.

Although I have confirmed my past experience that I can play and sing at the same time with a pick but not with fingers. Weird!

Not weird at all - I find it waaaaaaaaay easier with pick compared to fingers - eventually fingers gets easier again - I think there is too much going on co-ordinating right and left hand fingers.

The best singing bassists out there are Glenn Hughes and dUg Pinnick a they use picks - I am happy to be a very poor man’s version

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just spotted that Hughes got invited for The Dead Daisies project for an album as singer / bassist.

It's a great CD! Well worth a listen. I'm a big fan of the John Corabi Daisies albums but it's great to hear Hughes again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I just spotted that Hughes got invited for The Dead Daisies project for an album as singer / bassist.

It's a great CD! Well worth a listen. I'm a big fan of the John Corabi Daisies albums but it's great to hear Hughes again.

You know me - I have already clocked the new Dead Daisies album.

For anyone wanting a crushing phenomenal bass tone - Glenn and this is the song - it’s phenomenal 

https://youtu.be/Gc1oOsGxoAk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

You know me - I have already clocked the new Dead Daisies album.

For anyone wanting a crushing phenomenal bass tone - Glenn and this is the song - it’s phenomenal 

https://youtu.be/Gc1oOsGxoAk

Glenn Hughes voice is the epitome of a Rock vocalist.

One of my heroes for vocals and bass.

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glenn

dUg

Corey Glover

Chris Cornell

Lane Staley

If you could fuse all them together - perfection

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...