Why become a member? ×

Should I stick with what I know?

Bunion

40 minutes ago, Bunion said:

everyone has their own voice in the fingertips

I think that is the biggest part of it.  If you aren't delivering a full fat signal to whatever amp is first in line, you may as well give up.  Same for fretted.  The trick is not to overpower it unless intentionally.

But you knew that.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bunion said:

I was thinking of maybe a 210 or 212 cab something I can add to if I need it later. 

Sod FRFR!  We're bassists not sopranos!

If you need something to add to later the Trace Elliot 1818 is excellent.  Plenty of room on top for just about anything else you might want...  even tweeters (shudder)... and they're so cheap second hand these days because nobody wants to lug the buggers around.

(Sorry)

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

On 05/12/2020 at 19:48, Bunion said:

It’s all good, I’ve read a lot of reviews on cabs and Amps but not really for fretless. 
it’s nice to hear that side of it 

I am of the opinion (many may disagree) that the fretless tone (certainly the tone I was after) comes from the instrument, the amplification messes with that tone. Unlike most other folk I buy my basses based on their tone unplugged, even electric basses (I mostly play acoustic/piezo basses), and I was always dissatisfied with their amplified sound because I just wanted the tone of the unplugged instrument but louder. That’s why after the best part of forty years being dissatisfied with amps it took me all of two minutes to decide on a powered speaker. I plugged my RA Mouse into the QSC, played about five notes and got my wallet out, it was exactly what I’d been after for years. It kind of unlocks the genuine sound of the instrument. I found myself always battling the controls of a trad amp to find a tone that was essentially unavailable due to the colouring inherent in the amplifier. I think people struggle to find a tone they like because they have no idea of what the instrument sounds like either un-amplified or amplified without colour (i.e FRFR) so they are seeking an theoretical artificial sound without knowing how the bass sounds fundamentally. All the eq on a bass amp set to the mid-point isn’t the tone from which to build a sound because it’s already coloured so you are probably already working with a disparity between the tone of the instrument and the colour of the amp.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

All opinions clearly welcome I see...

Oh don't get me wrong my friend.

I spent many years concentrating on trying to make a good High Fidelity system out of second hand stuff and cast-offs as an impoverished yoof.  It became my holy grail.  Nowadays, sound quality is not such an issue even with averagely priced components in sound systems and the challenge has gone out of it for me.

It was a marvel how I actually got to listen to any of the music such was my obsession with removing 50Hz mains hum and building the perfect bedroom speaker set out of knackered valve radios because they had the biggest drivers I could get my hands on for nowt.

Now I am listening to remasters of the music I grew up with.  Little of it is left uncoloured by the hardware that it ran through.  I want to play it that way as well these days and this is where we differ; you are playing original music whereas I am only doing covers.  There is little on my set list that would require FRFR.  Quite the reverse.  I am now playing in the dirt.

We just coming at it from opposite directions, that's all.

Regards

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

There's a pretty much new EA iAmp Doubler in the marketplace for the bargain price of £495:

There's also a matching Wizzy 1x12 cab on there for £220 but it's collection only. 

I'd be using something like that if I wanted a traditional amp head for fretless, at the moment I have a Fishman Pro Platinum DI into a QSC powered cab which sounds fantastic when I put fretless through it. Another way of achieving the same goal.

Edited by lemmywinks

3 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

I'd be using something like that if I wanted a traditional amp head for fretless, at the moment I have a Fishman Pro Platinum DI into a QSC powered cab which sounds fantastic when I put fretless through it. Another way of achieving the same goal.

Exactly what I used before I got the HX Stomp, I was perfectly happy with the Fishman PP tbh but, typically, I just wanted the vast array of bells and whistles that the Stomp gives.

1 minute ago, Frank Blank said:

Exactly what I used before I got the HX Stomp, I was perfectly happy with the Fishman PP tbh but, typically, I just wanted the vast array of bells and whistles that the Stomp gives.

One of the worst things about no gigs for the foreseeable future is that I've had to shelve my long term plans of getting a Helix even though I don't need one.

2 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

One of the worst things about no gigs for the foreseeable future is that I've had to shelve my long term plans of getting a Helix even though I don't need one.

I'd get one despite that, this way at least you have a long time to delve into the vastness of it's possibilities, when we start gigging again you'll know it inside out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

I'd get one despite that, this way at least you have a long time to delve into the vastness of it's possibilities, when we start gigging again you'll know it inside out.

Tbh I'm considering a change from a full covers setup to more acoustic stuff geared towards quiet weddings and bars, the scene here offers much more opportunities for small bands without a full kit. Haven't had the need for anything other than compression for a long time so the Fishman is all I need really. My band has folded mainly due to covid so it's a nice opportunity to scale everything down.

• Like 1