Why become a member? ×

Lil 1x10 cab

karlthebassist

Well last night I sold my Markbass 103H combo. Traded for a LMII head and a chunk of cash - so I was left without a cab!

Bit of a quiet day at work today, and had already brought a bunch of cab hardware and have 4 10" Eminence Beta drivers kicking around...

So i built this

[attachment=22273:Image030.jpg]

And it works rather well!

Could do with a better driver maybe, but it sounds pretty good seeing as it has no tweeter. As long as its not driven TOO hard it behaves. Its quite detailed. Not a massive bottom end at all, but has a good presence. All made from 3/4 (19mm) birch ply, carpeted inside. 250W, 8 ohm.

Going to need to get some felty stuff for the outside and screw the metal corners ive got onto it. cant be bothered to cut a grill out. i have the material kicking around at work but I dont really think i need it. Or maybe i'll do a fabric front.

Anyone else had expreience with building a compact(ish) 1x10?

Edited by karlthebassist

[quote name='BeLow' post='438879' date='Mar 19 2009, 07:00 AM']It looks a really neat job especially if you built it in a day - it would take me weeks by the time I sorted which tools I needed and packed and unpacked them from their various hidey holes 4 or 5 times.[/quote]

And discovered broken blades, and crossed town to find that Homebase have never heard of routers, and ran out of glue at 3:59 on a Sunday afternoon and...

[quote]Any chance of posting your plans on here?

How did you size the ports did you run a simulation or guess (are they simpe 'holes' or 'pipes').[/quote]

Yeah please do! I have a pair of Beta 10s gathering dust.

Thanks for the enthusiastic responces guys!
No, I'm not going to build three more. In fact, I'm going to sell the other three speakers - or maybe all four and buy one decent one. I only need one little cab like this.

It took me just over 2 hours to make the cab, and another half hour to put the carpet on the inside and wire it up. Like I say, it needs to be carpeted outside and the corner pieces put on, but I don't know where to get some black cabinate cloth (so if anyone knows, would you PM me please).

The dimentions and ports etc are possibly a bit iffy becuase i found a 1x10 cab online, got the outside dimentions from their site, read that they were made from 19mm ply, and scaled the ports sizes and positions off the screen. But it works ok so I think I've made a good educated guess. The ports are just holes, not tubes.
Playing it a bit last night and think I noticed that when I started to crank it to the sorts of volumes you'd need with a drummer, things lost control abit. But I'm going to have another look and see if it was just the beer affecting my judgment...

Er.... I was going to type something else but I've forgotten. I'll remember later.

Thanks again guys.

Took the speaker back out again today. Just after I removed it my new speaker cable from OBBM turned up - so I haven't had the chance to try it, but the build quality certainly is great - and its a nice chunky cable with big juicy Neutirk 1/4" connectors. Nice.

Anyway, removed speaker and feet etc, and sprayed the front baffle black.

[attachment=22454:Image033.jpg]

Now then, covering it - I've got some speaker cloth that I ordered a while back when I first ordered the bits to make this cab and it is disgusting. Dark grey. I cannot bring myself to have a grey cab. So, found some cream leather in my mums massive reserves of fabrics and such. Have offered it up to the cab and hardware and looks pretty damn good in my opinion. :)

[attachment=22456:Image035.jpg]

On and you can see the carpet offcuts I used to line the inside of the cab in the pic.

Edited by karlthebassist

Done!
Looks awesome in my opinion. Took longer to trim than it did to build the cab! The fit is infinatly better than I expected I would be able to manage, having never done anything involving fabrics before.

Think I'm going to make a cloth grill for it, rather than leaving the speaker exposed. Thinking black, tweedy look.

[attachment=22515:a.jpg]

[attachment=22516:b.jpg]

[attachment=22517:c.jpg]

I'll add another pic when I get round to making the grill.
Cheers.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='442042' date='Mar 22 2009, 09:29 PM']As a vegetarian, I don't see anything that would make it unsuitable for me......am I missing something?[/quote]

Maybe it's got a mixed-grille on the front?

Or maybe it's made from a hollowed-out pig.

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='439452' date='Mar 19 2009, 05:22 PM']Playing it a bit last night and think I noticed that when I started to crank it to the sorts of volumes you'd need with a drummer, things lost control abit. But I'm going to have another look and see if it was just the beer affecting my judgment...[/quote]

However good the cabinet, a single Beta 10 won't ever be able to keep up with a drummer, volume-wise.

[quote name='bremen' post='442049' date='Mar 22 2009, 09:36 PM']However good the cabinet, a single Beta 10 won't ever be able to keep up with a drummer, volume-wise.[/quote]

Tbh back the days I started playing, I used a Laney HCM 65B 65w 12" combo with a drummer... quietly mind you...
Yeah maybe I was just expecting too much. Its the only cab I've used since moving away from my Markbass 103H combo.

As for the Vegi's not liking it - I said in an earlier post that it was being trimmed in leather. But, today found that its actually fake leather stuff. So its all good.

[quote name='BeLow' post='442057' date='Mar 22 2009, 09:56 PM']I have rehearsed with a single omni 10.5 and our loud drummer - I just about got away with it but two of them are a lot more convincing![/quote]

I'm really not familiar with these Omni jobbjs people keep mentioning. I'll have a look at em. I've only really built this thing becuase I thought I'd be a while without a cab to practice with after getting rid of my Markbass 103H combo on tuesday. Built the cab on wednesday, but ended up ordering a GS112 on thursday.

I used the little thing today to practice in the conservatory which was a nice change, so I'm already liking how portable it is. Omni 10.5 I've heard mentioned a few times - seems a bit more of a serious cab than my little practice thingy.

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='442054' date='Mar 22 2009, 09:47 PM']As for the Vegi's not liking it - I said in an earlier post that it was being trimmed in leather. But, today found that its actually fake leather stuff. So its all good.[/quote]
Hah, I read that you were trimming it in leather, but being the hypocrite that I am didn't even notice that would be why it would've been unsuitable for vegetarians.

I'm not even a proper vegetarian. Apparently I'm a pescetarian (spelling?), which means I make an illogical exception for eating fish and seafood. Or, to make a bad joke out of it, I'm a fish-and-chipocrite.

(Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week.)

Anyway, back on topic - that cream leather, vegetarian or otherwise, looks beautiful!

[quote name='Huwberry' post='442166' date='Mar 23 2009, 02:17 AM']Hah, I read that you were trimming it in leather, but being the hypocrite that I am didn't even notice that would be why it would've been unsuitable for vegetarians.[/quote]

Being a vegetarian doesn't mean you can't own a leather-bound speaker. So long as you don't eat it.

[quote name='bremen' post='438913' date='Mar 19 2009, 08:43 AM']And discovered broken blades, and crossed town to find that Homebase have never heard of routers, and ran out of glue at 3:59 on a Sunday afternoon and...[/quote]
Well, there's a thing. :)

[quote name='uzzell' post='441922' date='Mar 22 2009, 06:57 PM']I want one, but unfortunately i wouldn't know where to begin with such a project. I dont suppose anyone knows of any 1x10 cabs that you can pick up in a shop.[/quote]
I got a Euphonic Audio 1 x 10 with concentric horn. Not sure if they still exist, but Overwater do EA gear.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='442458' date='Mar 23 2009, 02:25 PM']Yes I'm O.K. with cream, .[/quote]
+1! :rolleyes:

• 10 months later...

I cant belive I have only just got around to doing this,

[attachment=41118:P1010281.JPG]

Today I finally fitted a side handle and the grill to my little 1x10 cab. I've been gigging with my acoustic band and loads of practices with the cab, always being scared of putting a hole in the speaker!
I think it looks a bit rubbish in the picture because of the flash showing up the baffle and the grill support, but it looks a lot nicer in the flesh in normal light.

Done.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a number of people e-mail me reguarding this cab and asking if I can put some instructions up. I'm sorry that I havn't e-mailed everyone back, but I WILL put some instructions up.

Please bare in mind thought that this is not a carefully designed and calculated cabinate. One day I decided I wanted one, looked at a picture of one on a manufacturers website, read what their overall dimentions where LxWxH and used that as a starting point. I got the port sizes by scaling the image off the screen - so they are only approximate. It is a nice little cab that I play through every week with one of my bands who play acousticly in a semi from 8pm-11pm. So not ever pushed to extreme volumes or whatever, but it does sound half decent. For a low cost build, its good enough for me.

So if you are intested, please keep an eye out on this thread and I shall soon post instructions.

Out of interest, for a cab of this size/style, but made with calculated volumes etc and a better quality speaker and construction, how much would you be prepared to pay?

Karl