Why become a member? ×

Equipment for writing some songs

wishface

I'm thinking of writing some tunes, but I only have a bass right now. I'm sure there are many fine songwriters on here. What would I need in terms of a budget (but decent quality, hopefully) to write some basic tunes, perhaps using a computer and some synth stuff to accompany. Buying a guitar is tempting but then i'd still need recording and processing gear as well. Where can i buy a decent computer (i have an i5 with 8gb ram but the on board sound has major latency). I don't really want to spend the earth and get lost in midi hell

Thanks

8 minutes ago, wishface said:
...(i have an i5 with 8gb ram...

This will do nicely for quite a while, and will get you started; my PC was much lower spec than that in the beginning. I use Reaper as a DAW, which will work fine on such a machine, and costs nothing to trial. Pay for a license when you're ready, if you've found nothing better since. You'll need an interface, though, to plug the bass into. The Focusrite entry-level stuff has a very good reputation on this forum; there are others, but that one is a sure-fire bet.
A guitar is an option, but you may want to consider a mini keyboard, which offers many possibilities for composing backing stuff, with piano, organ or synth sounds from Vst instruments (there are many free ones that are more than useful...). Yes, such a keyboard plugs into a MIDI socket of an interface, but it's very easy to set up, so no fear of getting sucked down a rabbit hole.
Just my tuppence-worth; hope this helps. :friends:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

This will do nicely for quite a while, and will get you started; my PC was much lower spec than that in the beginning. I use Reaper as a DAW, which will work fine on such a machine, and costs nothing to trial. Pay for a license when you're ready, if you've found nothing better since. You'll need an interface, though, to plug the bass into. The Focusrite entry-level stuff has a very good reputation on this forum; there are others, but that one is a sure-fire bet.
A guitar is an option, but you may want to consider a mini keyboard, which offers many possibilities for composing backing stuff, with piano, organ or synth sounds from Vst instruments (there are many free ones that are more than useful...). Yes, such a keyboard plugs into a MIDI socket of an interface, but it's very easy to set up, so no fear of getting sucked down a rabbit hole.
Just my tuppence-worth; hope this helps. :friends:

Thanks but what about the latency?

5 minutes ago, wishface said:

Thanks but what about the latency?

What latency..? I use the built-in metronome when putting down a first track, then add more tracks using this same metronome. If necessary, I listen to a previous track, and if it turns out to be mis-aligned, I just move the track along slightly to line it up. For simple stuff (basic chords, a bass line, a drum track, some singing...) there's no issue at all. It's true that in a major studio, the equipment is better spec'ed, certainly, and needs to be, but for writing a basic song, you've all you need to get going, I'd say. Don't forget a good headset, too, though, for monitoring and mixing.

• Like 1

The gap that you're hearing between playing a note and it sounding through your PC is called 'Latency' - it can be reduced by reducing the buffer size of your sound card, but this comes at a price of processing power.

My built-in sound card on my MacBook runs at a buffer size of 256 samples, which gives 12ms of delay by default. I can drop this to 32 samples the latency is 4ms - significantly less delay between sound in and sound out, but performance of my MacBook is reduced.

If I plug in my 'portable' sound card (a little Alesis USB thing) I can get similar results, but my old (like, really old) MOTU firewire will run at half of those figures across 8 channels all day. 

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NickD said:

Latency is usually a property of the interface/monitoring situation, Your computer should be fine, it's better spec than mine. You say plugging your bass into the computer, how?

Into the line in mic socket, that's the only input i have to use

• Like 1

Just now, wishface said:

Into the line in mic socket, that's the only input i have to use

There's your issue!

If you were using an audio interface, among other things that would effectively replace the soundcard.

Most audio interfaces come bundled with a DAW too. for example., Steinberg interfaces come with a version of Cubase.

• Like 1

Just now, NickD said:

There's your issue!

If you were using an audio interface, among other things that would effectively replace the soundcard.

Most audio interfaces come bundled with a DAW too. for example., Steinberg interfaces come with a version of Cubase.

I don't know what else I'd use? 

Usually, the way it's done is Instrument - Interface - DAW of your choice.

The Interface is usually connected via usb to the computer, and you plug your instrument into that, it acts as a analogue to digital converter, soundcard, pre-amp, etc, so your computer doesn't need to worry about it, no adjustments necessary. My laptop is pretty rubbish next to yours, but it doesn't need to be any better, because the input and monitoring are dealt with by the interface.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wishface said:

I don't know what else I'd use? 

You need an interface - converting your analogue bass signal to digital. The Focusrite Scarlett is a great and low-cost model, they also do a single channel model called appropriately the Solo.

If you’re using a Mac, then you should have GarageBand. If not just download it from the AppStore.

Edited by Basinski
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NickD said:

Usually, the way it's done is Instrument - Interface - DAW of your choice.

The Interface is usually connected via usb to the computer, and you plug your instrument into that, it acts as a analogue to digital converter, soundcard, pre-amp, etc, so your computer doesn't need to worry about it, no adjustments necessary. My laptop is pretty rubbish next to yours, but it doesn't need to be any better, because the input and monitoring are dealt with by the interface.

So i have to buy an audio interface of some kind? HOw do they connect then? How much do they cost?

An interface will plug into a USB port. They cost, second-hand, from £10 to whatever, or new from around £50 or so. Just a second and I'll bring up a short list. It's better to get one with a MIDI port, for future use, I'd say. Back in a jiffy...

Here you go...

Thomann USB Audio Interfaces ...

Have a look through that lot, then ask more questions.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Basinski said:

You need an interface - converting your analogue bass signal to digital. The Focusrite Scarlett is a great and low-cost model, they also do a single channel model called appropriately the Solo.

If you’re using a Mac, then you should have GarageBand. If not just download it from the AppStore.

I'm using windows/pc

1 minute ago, Dad3353 said:

An interface will plug into a USB port. They cost, second-hand, from £10 to whatever, or new from around £50 or so. Just a second and I'll bring up a short list. It's better to get one with a MIDI port, for future use, I'd say. Back in a jiffy...

Thanks, i don't have a midi port though

Cost depends on how many inputs and output you want usually, they're usually just plug and play with a usb.

If it's just you, one instrument at a time, There's things like the focusrite solo (which comes bundled with Ableton Lite Live), and my first interface, the Steinberg U12, which comes bundled with  with Cubase AI. Both for around 80-90 quid.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NickD said:

Cost depends on how many inputs and output you want usually, they're usually just plug and play with a usb.

If it's just you, one instrument at a time, There's things like the focusrite solo (which comes bundled with Ableton Lite Live), and my first interface, the Steinberg U12, which comes bundled with  with Cubase AI. Both for around 80-90 quid.

Just a bass really. I don't have any other instruments. Id abbled in midi many years ago but that was a completely different universe. I've no recollection of how it all works. The software wasn't legit and I no longer have it all anyway. Reaper looks pretty intimidating, i'll have to sit down and learn it i guess. Would rather play with people but that's not really an option right now of course.

thanks for the help

To answer the other part of your question, for a keyboard I picked up just a cheap midi controller keyboard (in my case an Acorn Masterkey 49), using that I plug it in directly via usb. The VSTs I use, drums, strings, keys, whatever, are all bundled in the DAW.

My mini keyboard is an M-Audio 32-key Keystation, bought for very little. It plugs into a USB port.

Most of these items can be bought used for about half the list price. I got both of my audio interfaces this way.

Most of my Vst instruments were free.

Edited by Dad3353