Why become a member? ×

Greetings from Spain

achavarin

Hi guys!!

Abraham here, in Barcelona, Spain. I love bass guitars, I have a few in my bass dungeon. I have been playing for many years always in grunge/rock bands and currently have a nice project that I am really excited about (will post some stuff when available). 

My playing style is more groove related than cool smooth solo guy.  I think of the bass as the track over which a train is riding on. So I pride myself in trying to provide a solid track with the drummer so that the crazy-#ss guitar guy can do his thing on top with his Sinmarc valve head and 4x12 cab (the train). 

I love the sound of MMEB bass guitars, it is what I use mostly; I have never played a Jazz in any band I have been, or a P bass for that matter. I do own one of each though and really like them specially the vintage ones and I know they sound cool and awesome, but I always steer away from them and towards a more modern tone like my Dingwall 5er.  That said, I believe the day that I go traditional jazz/p bass with my band is coming sooner rather than later, and then I will be a full vintage bass convert, or at least not in denial anymore :)

If any of you nice bass people are in Barcelona and would like to talk shop in person, hit me up.  If you want to have a friendly discussion on vintage fender lore, MM basses, Alleva Coppolo, super Jazz basses and the lot I am game. 

Should any of you own one of the elusive Tobias T made by Pedulla,  tell me about it! Love those vintage tobias ones. 

Thanks for reading and looking forward to reading you all.

abe

p.s. I like my preamps off board. In pedal form. I prefer my bass guitars Passive and have some different pedal preamps so I can mix and match. Reasoning is, why have a great preamp in one bass when you can get it off the bass and use it with all your basses? Let me know if you think the same. 

• Like 1

Welcome Abe.

As a hobby bassist, I only recently got into pedals with my first and only purchase, a Zoom B3.  I can see the advantages as you put them.  Then I got a gift of a SBMM Ray34 with upgrades.  Included were a Nordstrand pickup and a John East preamp, the three band one with mid sweep and the Bass/Treble modelled on the classic Stingray two band.

As a newcomer to anything MM, I am seriously impressed.  I might even try to get a classic Ray since I'm enjoying this one so much.  Funds don't allow for that however so it's a nice dream to hold.

As I haven't yet got used to using a three stop pedal, I favour the onboard amp despite having to keep batteries fresh.  If I was gigging though, I might go the other way and run everything flat through the pedal.

@SpondonBassed, those SBMM 34s are killer!

I have a fretless one and it is awesome. A bit on the heavy side but tone is great, straight out of the box it is about 80% there with the real deal B00 late 70's. You have the preamp upgrade and Nordstrand so you are at about 90-95% there tonewise.  I cant say you would be upgrading much other than the wood and the decal. Tone is where its at for me. 

thanks for the welcome. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, achavarin said:

I cant say you would be upgrading much other than the wood and the decal.

True enough.

It had Hipshot machine heads and Dunlop straplocks fitted.  In addition the headstock was colour matched (black) and branded with the name "Stingray" in a custom typeface by David Wilson.

I didn't have to do anything to it other than fit a new battery and tune up.  I wouldn't change a thing about it.

PS:  It looks like I should have said "Welcome back".  You've been a member for a while.

Edited by SpondonBassed

@SpondonBassed

6 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

PS:  It looks like I should have said "Welcome back".  You've been a member for a while.

Yeah mate! right you are, I had signed up, but I had not finished my profile and thought I hadn't introduced myself.  Its good to be back!

I have tons of questions about vacuum tubes, bass guitars and sound, so I will be looking around for answers and/or posting questions. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...