Why become a member? ×

Synth Pedals?

bobbass4k

I'm in the market for a synth pedal, but it's an area i've got little experience in, I had an Ibanez sb7, which i liked, but i defintley want something with more versatility. I've got quite a budget (£250 max) so i'm looking at the high end (not quite as high as an octavius squeezer though). I'm sorely tempted by a deep impact, I've wanted one since i first heard of them, but are they worth the exoribtant money? Is there anything newer that's better and cheaper? I'd appreciate any advice

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='435532' date='Mar 15 2009, 09:05 PM']I'm in the market for a synth pedal, but it's an area i've got little experience in, I had an Ibanez sb7, which i liked, but i defintley want something with more versatility. I've got quite a budget (£250 max) so i'm looking at the high end (not quite as high as an octavius squeezer though). I'm sorely tempted by a deep impact, I've wanted one since i first heard of them, but are they worth the exoribtant money? Is there anything newer that's better and cheaper? I'd appreciate any advice[/quote]

Deep Impacts tend to go for £300-350 when they turn up. The Korg G5 is usually about half that, but I only found one sound I liked on it and it's huge.

If you've got £170-ish for a G5 go demo a Bass Micro Synth instead, it's a really good pedal. It won't do pure waveforms but it mimics that classic Moog bass sound surprisingly well, and does a bunch of other tricks too. And its filter is just generally a bit special, nothing sounds like it. For the money I think it's a brilliant box.

It depends what sort of sounds you're going for really. Can you link to some tunes for us?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='435549' date='Mar 15 2009, 09:29 PM']It depends what sort of sounds you're going for really.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. A 'synth sound' is so broad, long sounds, short sounds, moving sounds, static sounds, pads, leads, basses. I can do about half of that with my setup (at least to the degree I want to).

An EHX with an expression pedal mod would be an awesome thing, with the ability to do LOADS.

Anyone good with a soldering iron?

Dan

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='435549' date='Mar 15 2009, 09:29 PM']Deep Impacts tend to go for £300-350 when they turn up. The Korg G5 is usually about half that, but I only found one sound I liked on it and it's huge.

If you've got £170-ish for a G5 go demo a Bass Micro Synth instead, it's a really good pedal. It won't do pure waveforms but it mimics that classic Moog bass sound surprisingly well, and does a bunch of other tricks too. And its filter is just generally a bit special, nothing sounds like it. For the money I think it's a brilliant box.

It depends what sort of sounds you're going for really. Can you link to some tunes for us?[/quote]

I'd probably be willing to spring £300 for a deep impact, are they as good as their newer, cheaper rivals? Is the price justified? The microsynth does look pretty good, what else is there available though? I had looked into the G5 and it's size put me off straight away.

As for sound, that's a difficult one, I'm a big muse fan (hence the deep impact lust), but the stuff i'm mostly playing nowadays is post/noise/art/experimental/punk/drone/stoner/dance/rock. I'm probably gonna get a bass and drums duo going after exams, think death from above, lightning bolt, mad capsule markets that kind of stuff. Versatility is mainly what i'm after, i enjoy playing all sorts of stuff, and i like having a very wide range of sounds, also with just bass and drums, a big full sound would be good too, i play a lot of lead/high register stuff too, so bad low end tracking wouldnt really put me off if the rest is good.

Edited by bobbass4k

I would go with maybe a POG and a filter. Maybe the Electrix Filter, or something with and expression pedal control.

I get some HUGE sounds out of my OC2 > Mammoth > CEB3 > MF101 > DL4 rig. Perfect for noisecore stuff!!

I love borrowing my guitarists MicroPOG, tracks great and the +1 octave makes my rig sound even fuller (obviously!!).

Dan

Edited by DanOwens

[quote name='DanOwens' post='435571' date='Mar 15 2009, 09:52 PM']I would go with maybe a POG and a filter. Maybe the Electrix Filter, or something with and expression pedal control.

I get some HUGE sounds out of my OC2 > Mammoth > CEB3 > MF101 > DL4 rig. Perfect for noisecore stuff!!

I love borrowing my guitarists MicroPOG, tracks great and the +1 octave makes my rig sound even fuller (obviously!!).

Dan[/quote]
Combining pedals sounds interesting, but i've already got a whammy that serves my octave up needs

You could go modular and get octave/fuzz/filters to suit your needs. A 4ms Nocto Loco can generate a really good octave down waveform with brilliant tracking, and it also has a frequency dependent tremolo effect (so high notes pulse faster than low notes, [url="http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/BASSSESH/NOCTOLOCO.mp3"]clip here[/url]. They sell them in kit form too to save cash. The Moog MF-101 lowpass filter (which does envelope and expression control and can sound [url="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=916770&content=songinfo&songID=7403635"]like this[/url]) is on sale for £150 online from Turnkey a the moment (who seem to be back in business!). I was never keen on the EHX BMS as it sounded a bit cheesy 80s to me. The Chunk synth is cool and very versatile but it's expensive, lacks expression control and I've heard the tracking isn't that great. Deep Impacts are way expensive but apparently for good reason, and the Korg looks to be a good bet if you can find a cheap one.

Really depends on what kind of synth sounds you're after I guess, any particular sounds you want to be able to clone?

That £150 mf-101 looks very interesting, dont they usually go for £250+?, can the mf-101 do more extreme sounds? Subtletly isn't really a requirement for me, i prefer my effects extreme.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_bk-9EghNQ"]this[/url] is kind of the sound i'm going for (which will be a deep impact), but i really want a wide range of sounds, i tend to have a paticular sound in my head and try and achieve that with what i have, rather than base a sound on what i have

Edited by bobbass4k

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='435559' date='Mar 15 2009, 09:45 PM']I'd probably be willing to spring £300 for a deep impact, are they as good as their newer, cheaper rivals? Is the price justified?[/quote]

It's the one "synth" pedal I haven't had, so I couldn't say. It doesn't sound like a stellar pedal to me, but you never know whether it's down to the cretin demoing it or the pedal, do you? :) But if you did buy one and decide it wasn't for you, you'd have no trouble getting your money back.

There really aren't a lot of all-in-one options. The only others I can think of are the Digitech Bass Synth Wah - a couple of the sounds on that aren't half bad, if a bit generic, but it doesn't leave much room for getting creative - and the Boss SYB-3/5, which has more features than the BSW but for me didn't sound quite as good, or track as well.

Maybe a few components might be a better idea, like...

[quote name='DanOwens' post='435571' date='Mar 15 2009, 09:52 PM']I get some HUGE sounds out of my OC2 > Mammoth > CEB3 > MF101 > DL4 rig. Perfect for noisecore stuff!![/quote]

That sounds really flexible, but well over £250. I've got an OC-2, Mammoth and an exp.-controllable filter (Meatwad) on my board, but the main reason I bought the Octavius Squeezer was because it was impractical to tweak my filter settings so much between songs.

Even with the Squeezer though I've kept those other pedals, and I've kept the BMS, but the more patches I create on the Squeezer the more redundant things are getting. If the mooted exp. pedal control arrives in a future firmware update my Meatwad might become surplus to requirements. That would be weird...

Still need something ring-moddy to robot up my sounds sometimes, and I'm waiting for a good formant filter to replace the Bassballs (TWA Little Dipper still isn't out yet).

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='435559' date='Mar 15 2009, 09:45 PM']As for sound, that's a difficult one, I'm a big muse fan (hence the deep impact lust), but the stuff i'm mostly playing nowadays is post/noise/art/experimental/punk/drone/stoner/dance/rock[/quote]

did you just invent a genre? sounds far out lol

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='435610' date='Mar 15 2009, 10:20 PM']Still need something ring-moddy to robot up my sounds sometimes, and I'm waiting for a good formant filter to replace the Bassballs (TWA Little Dipper still isn't out yet).[/quote]

i found one setting on my old analog delay when using it with mic that that sounds like a robot voice.. will have to try one day how it sounds with bass:)
im wondering if tremolo pedal will help me to achive pulsing sound..

If you work with drum machines or any other device that outputs a MIDI clock signal then you should certainly take a look at the [url="http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/"]Linn Adrenalinn[/url]. Not a synth pedal as such but a MIDI synchronised filter/gate/flanger/delay/amp modeller.

Hey, I was wondering if the more experienced players here could help me out. I recorded a song a few months back on the Zoom, I used a custom made patch called "Synth"(not created by me...someone on this forum actually!). I was wondering if anybody knows of a pedal that could create the same idea as the patch on the Zoom.

[url="http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Micehorns/music/all/play568309"]http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Micehor.../all/play568309[/url]

It's the song called "My first attempt at a song", excuse all the talking at the start, when the drums kick in it's that sort of tone I was wondering about.

Thanks everyone! :)

I use synths quite a bit, albeit usually in tandem with a clean bassline. The only song I have up online is the track here [url="http://www.freewebs.com/mrped/facethemusic.htm"]http://www.freewebs.com/mrped/facethemusic.htm[/url] Track '2001- biting the bullet' which was recorded though my 'stink synth' patch on a pod XT pro.

Nowadays I am doing the same thing through a Vbass which is just a revelation for reasons I have stated elsewhere quite a lot - the polyphonic flawless tracking and the complete flexibility. Great fun!

[quote name='dangerboy' post='438103' date='Mar 18 2009, 10:53 AM']I have one of these for sale in the 'Effects' forum.

[url="http://www.martoneaudio.com/PulseSynth.htm"]http://www.martoneaudio.com/PulseSynth.htm[/url]

And it's even got extra switches! Lovely synth-ness for half your budget.[/quote]

The pulse synth actually looks very interesting, which means you have PM