Why become a member? ×

Status S2 - Unique Custom Paint - TRADED
£1900
South Oxfordshire

molan

PRICE REDUCED TO £1,800!

The bass cull continues with this genuine 'one of a kind' Status originally made & customised for TM Stevens around 26 years ago. For whatever reason he didn't end up with it & it was then owned by Ashdown for about 20 years and used for testing new kit. I bought it direct from them and it's been played at a couple of rehearsals and one gig since then. Apart from one small surface scratch down the bridge, and some small buckle rash on the rear, it's pretty much perfect - certainly doesn't look 26 years old!  The surface marks should be visible in the pictures below - 

The volume control 'sometimes' has a little scratch sound right at the end of it's travel towards off position but you have to listen very closely to hear this. It may well go with a continued bout of twisting. Some screws and bridge hardware are showing some age but I felt this just added a bit of character :)

It has no serial number and there has been some debate between various Status experts (all of them far more knowledgeable than I) about whether it's an S2 Classic or an Empathy. Rob Green thinks it's an S2 so that's probably a safe bet.

Here's what Ashdown said about it:

"This S2-Classic is the ultimate combination of traditional and modern guitar design. Made in the 80's built for TM Stevens and painted by a top German artist. TM Stevens never actually ended up with the bass instead it found its way into our possession around 20 years ago and has been one of our go to test basses.
Woven carbon graphite and selected exotic woods are combined to create a bass which sounds even better than it looks. It has a wide, even frequency response with huge dynamics and sustain."

Note that the artist signature appears to be Andi Graphic Art 94 - this would suggest it's a bit newer than the Ashdown estimate but that 94 may not be the date it was made and/or have nothing to do with that at all. Could just be the 94th piece of custom artwork etc.

It has the classic Status electronics with the sweepable mid boost/cut switch and sounds just like a Status should - great cut through that sits in a live mix really nicely.

Happy to post anywhere in the UK / EU at cost - probably £25 UK & £40 EU (both with insurance).

IMG_1121.thumb.jpg.a9917fd3ad0a52127414048cf135f5e8.jpg

IMG_1122.thumb.jpg.0956d3e57ed5fe5132d2ce05affe5b50.jpg

IMG_1124.thumb.jpg.9fcfbee49f2f721b72d4d889b991d649.jpg

IMG_1125.thumb.jpg.76e15c5e6308baf438cece647cf1e6f8.jpg

IMG_1126.thumb.jpg.e6c20ab734f34eec6b0c71b211548361.jpg

IMG_1127.thumb.jpg.ba1cf0c544fef6cc40681c2063676bd0.jpg

IMG_1123.thumb.jpg.c6538ccbf770470ce1cc0b2a0b376ebc.jpg

Edited by molan
Traded
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The Usual Suspects crawl out from under their rocks. I didn’t even know you had that Barrie.

That’s stunning. Is it worth me hanging on until you list that sparkly thing?

Had a bout of really wanting a Status headless 4 but this popped up and I thought it might be fun. I have a Streamline as well buried away somewhere!

I think the '66J is likely to go before the sparkly one.

Maybe the '74 P next. . .

• MB1 locked this topic