Jump to content
Baxlin

One input...

Recommended Posts

Daft, or even naive question...

I have acquired a new-to-me practice amp, which has one input.  I like to play along with backing tracks, previously run through my old, deceased amp’s second input.

Is there any way to play both through the one input?  Balancing volumes isn’t a problem, as both have their own control.

I have seen splitters (2 into 1) for headphone sockets, is it as simple as using one of these?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What other kit have you already got?

I use a little Zoom multiFX - which gives effects, tuner, drum patterns as well - with the other source (phone, MP3 player etc) into its aux input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baxlin said:

Daft, or even naive question...

I have acquired a new-to-me practice amp, which has one input.  I like to play along with backing tracks, previously run through my old, deceased amp’s second input.

Is there any way to play both through the one input?  Balancing volumes isn’t a problem, as both have their own control.

I have seen splitters (2 into 1) for headphone sockets, is it as simple as using one of these?

Thanks

Yes, a suitable splitter would do the job, but something along the lines of a cheap mixer would give you more control.

 

Edited by ahpook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks, I don’t have much in the way of kit, I’m a ‘bass and amp’ player, but the idea of a mixer interests me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Baxlin said:

Many thanks, I don’t have much in the way of kit, I’m a ‘bass and amp’ player, but the idea of a mixer interests me.

There’s a Behringer one (MX400 I think it’s called) that’s a 4 channel mixer, so more than you need, but will sort this with aplomb for less than £20.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most mini-mixers have too low an input impedance to work well with a bass guitar plugged directly into them (especially passive basses). You really need something with a high impedance input.
You could use something like the little Behringer mixer mentioned above, as long as you used another pedal as a buffer between the bass and the mixer.

Alternatively:

The Palmer Duetto is designed for pretty much your exact requirements, but is maybe a bit pricey, and you'd be unlikely to find one second hand.

Or the venerable Boss LS-2 could certainly be pressed into service for your purpose, and you might pick up a second-hand one pretty cheap here on the forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, paulbuzz said:

Most mini-mixers have too low an input impedance to work well with a bass guitar plugged directly into them (especially passive basses). You really need something with a high impedance input.
 

It's the rare mixer that would have too low an input impedance to use with a passive bass; inadequate gain is more likely. However, whatever the OP has for his backing track source could have a very low output impedance, 600 ohms or less, and that would be a major problem using a passive bass with a passive splitter.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

It's the rare mixer that would have too low an input impedance to use with a passive bass

Intriguing suggestion, Bill!
In general there seems to be a broad consensus that input impedances less than about 500 kohm cause a loss of top end from passive guitar/bass pickup signals. Would you disagree with this?

The little Behringer mixer mentioned above, for example, has an input impedance of only 5 kohm. Would you say this impedance would be ok for passive pickups?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's only 5kOhms because it's a line level mixer, so it usually deals with keyboard outputs of 600 ohms or less. 10kOhms would be the minimum to use with passives, with more being better. When I think of a mini-mixer it's more along the lines of the Mackie Mix 8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again chaps, I’ve borrowed a Behringer Xenyx QX1202 mixer and it does the job brilliantly.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a cheap splitter into my Hartke practice amp - the otherside of my splitter goes into my PlayStation and works perfectly. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...