Why become a member? ×

One input...

Baxlin

Daft, or even naive question...

I have acquired a new-to-me practice amp, which has one input.  I like to play along with backing tracks, previously run through my old, deceased amp’s second input.

Is there any way to play both through the one input?  Balancing volumes isn’t a problem, as both have their own control.

I have seen splitters (2 into 1) for headphone sockets, is it as simple as using one of these?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Baxlin said:

Daft, or even naive question...

I have acquired a new-to-me practice amp, which has one input.  I like to play along with backing tracks, previously run through my old, deceased amp’s second input.

Is there any way to play both through the one input?  Balancing volumes isn’t a problem, as both have their own control.

I have seen splitters (2 into 1) for headphone sockets, is it as simple as using one of these?

Thanks

Yes, a suitable splitter would do the job, but something along the lines of a cheap mixer would give you more control.

Edited by ahpook

32 minutes ago, Baxlin said:

Many thanks, I don’t have much in the way of kit, I’m a ‘bass and amp’ player, but the idea of a mixer interests me.

There’s a Behringer one (MX400 I think it’s called) that’s a 4 channel mixer, so more than you need, but will sort this with aplomb for less than £20.

• Like 1

Most mini-mixers have too low an input impedance to work well with a bass guitar plugged directly into them (especially passive basses). You really need something with a high impedance input.
You could use something like the little Behringer mixer mentioned above, as long as you used another pedal as a buffer between the bass and the mixer.

Alternatively:

The Palmer Duetto is designed for pretty much your exact requirements, but is maybe a bit pricey, and you'd be unlikely to find one second hand.

Or the venerable Boss LS-2 could certainly be pressed into service for your purpose, and you might pick up a second-hand one pretty cheap here on the forum.

19 minutes ago, paulbuzz said:

Most mini-mixers have too low an input impedance to work well with a bass guitar plugged directly into them (especially passive basses). You really need something with a high impedance input.

It's the rare mixer that would have too low an input impedance to use with a passive bass; inadequate gain is more likely. However, whatever the OP has for his backing track source could have a very low output impedance, 600 ohms or less, and that would be a major problem using a passive bass with a passive splitter.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

It's the rare mixer that would have too low an input impedance to use with a passive bass

Intriguing suggestion, Bill!
In general there seems to be a broad consensus that input impedances less than about 500 kohm cause a loss of top end from passive guitar/bass pickup signals. Would you disagree with this?

The little Behringer mixer mentioned above, for example, has an input impedance of only 5 kohm. Would you say this impedance would be ok for passive pickups?