Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

2 mono leads or a single TRS?

dave_bass5

Ive just brought a stereo EQ, to use with my stereo Keyboard. The plan was to get two mono leads to go between the two (and two longer leads to the desk).

Would there be much of a compromise if i was to use a single TRS lead, with adapters on each end?  I know its not ideal, but wondering if there will be a big downside as far as signal quality goes? I’m only talking about 3ft at the most. 

I’m thinking this lead with an adapter at the singe jack end to give two mono jacks. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Designcable-NP3X-SOONYX0100-2xNP2X-Neutrik-Stereo-Sommer/dp/B00A4BK3YS/ref=sr_1_24?adgrpid=112755099588&dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw1ej5BRBhEiwAfHyh1F_20kwl8NYeOsS_Gg3m5_JRYlY17H-pBcYb3PMqjoz-ZM-sZWd8HhoC3BcQAvD_BwE&hvadid=448735938704&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9045888&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17655202455176108774&hvtargid=kwd-6813027051&hydadcr=21342_1819046&keywords=stereo+guitar+cables&qid=1597690324&sr=8-24&tag=googhydr-21

Edited by dave_bass5

I was just mainly worried about how thin those cables seem be, and they seemed to be very cheap. Wasn't  sure if i was missing something. 

I ended up getting two decent 3ft cables. Mainly for versatility, and to make it easier if i have to go through a mono PA at rehearsals. Plus i can use them with bass if i have to. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/08/2020 at 08:57, dave_bass5 said:

I was just mainly worried about how thin those cables seem be, and they seemed to be very cheap. Wasn't  sure if i was missing something. 

I ended up getting two decent 3ft cables. Mainly for versatility, and to make it easier if i have to go through a mono PA at rehearsals. Plus i can use them with bass if i have to. 

The output from a keyboard will handle the smaller cables much better than a passive bass, however the more connections, the less reliable it is.  I would go for the two TS/Mono leads.

Edited by Chienmortbb

38 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

The output from a keyboard will handle the smaller cables much better than a passive bass, however the more connections, the less reliable it is.  I would go for the two TS/Mono leads.

That’s what i ended up doing and i feel i made the right choice. More bulk but i like that its more modular as well. I prefer to buy things that can have multiple uses. Also easier to swap out one side if a cable dies on me. 

Edited by dave_bass5

1 minute ago, StickyDBRmf said:

What is the stereo eq yr using?

Its a Boss EQ-200. I wasn't even  aware of this until last week. I could use my Helix Stomp, but i felt it’s overkill for my needs. The Boss seems to fit all the criteria, its even battery powered. It has 3 different sets of EQ points for the 10 band, one more tailored for full range keyboards. Its also much cheaper than the Source Audio, and has real sliders. 

I really just need something to tweak the sound of my synth so its not too harsh or muddy. The rehearsal studio’s PA is pretty crap, and their desk only has 3 band EQ. Our desk is no better, although our speakers are much better. Ill be able to use a preset for the studio and one for our PA, with the ability to easily tweak. 

Ah. thank you sir that was quick (what time is it over there?) So, I was curious because I use (STOP LAUGHING) a dbx 231. I got it used, cheap, and I use it to "un-bonky" my JBL EON 515's thru a Mackie mixer and I run it balanced after the mixer - the only way it's quiet. The JBL's were bought thinking they would handle the full-range of the Stick. The only way they WOULD sound good is if I added a 70lb. 18" subwoofer...IEM's were what Tony Levin was using the last time I saw Stickmen, and they were LOUD

6 minutes ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Ah. thank you sir that was quick (what time is it over there?) So, I was curious because I use (STOP LAUGHING) a dbx 231. I got it used, cheap, and I use it to "un-bonky" my JBL EON 515's thru a Mackie mixer and I run it balanced after the mixer - the only way it's quiet. The JBL's were bought thinking they would handle the full-range of the Stick. The only way they WOULD sound good is if I added a 70lb. 18" subwoofer...IEM's were what Tony Levin was using the last time I saw Stickmen, and they were LOUD

No problem. Its midnight here. 

Nothing to laugh about. EQ is EQ. Ive never found a need to have ‘fancy’ EQ, although i guess the Boss would be classed as that. It was genuinely the cheapest stereo EQ I could find with a decent range, other than the Behringer 9 band EQ, which seems rather good for the very low cost, but lacks battery power. 

We don’t use sub’s, but i have a feeling now my synth will be fine with low end through our powered 1x15+tweeters.  Ive tried to get my band to invest in better EQ for the PA, but we a really only use it for vocals so its hard to sell this to them. Ironically I’m selling a stereo DOD WQ on here. I could use it for myself or the PA, but but its old and we dont use any other rack gear. I like the idea of battery powered though. 

IEMs are not something i want to use at the moment, but maybe in the future. .