Why become a member? ×

5 Basses, One Song

ahpook

Happened upon this yesterday, thought it was really interesting to hear how different people approached the same song. Not sure which is my favourite, they're all really good basslines.

It must be said, I've no idea who any of these people are, apart from recognising Will Agtang from his reviews on YT channel from whence this video springs.

I've downloaded the bassless tune myself, I'm going to have a noodle to see what I come up with. :)

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 2

That IS interesting. Some of us should have a go at it. Not that I have the faintest clue how to record myself via a phone, nor do I have the facilities to make an audio mix of the resultant chaos! 

If have to not watch other people's versions,  or I'd  end up inadvertently plagirising bits.

Edit- Where's the original bassless audio hosted? I haven't had chance to watch all of it, but didn't see a URL..

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
  • Like 1

So far... I hadn't heard any of the others interpretations, had a quick go myself.. and ended up with an amalgam of the precision player (doubling the main riff) and the Spector for the melodic part.

So much for originality.

The tune is ok, but ultimately there's not a lot of space or scope between the guitars for much harmony without turning it into a 2-way noodling match betwixt the bass and lead guitar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

So far... I hadn't heard any of the others interpretations, had a quick go myself.. and ended up with an amalgam of the precision player (doubling the main riff) and the Spector for the melodic part.

So much for originality.

The tune is ok, but ultimately there's not a lot of space or scope between the guitars for much harmony without turning it into a 2-way noodling match betwixt the bass and lead guitar. 

True, but I suppose in coming to that conclusion you've a decision to play to the song not to what shows the bass off, which I'm sure some would do.

It's a good exercise tho - I don't really play any metal stuff, so I've been having fun trying different stuff out.