Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

33 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I guess Duane Eddy is the original man for bass 6 although he used a Dannelectro, which was I believe the first 6 string "bass" guitar. 

Hmm....the great question is - who came first - precision 4 string or VI bass ?

Edited by nilorius

23 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Waddo really hopes that You are wrong, but You're the Author, guess You're right !!!

I'm quite happy with history the way it is!

The regular 4 string Fender P bass was created long before the Fender VI... 

Also the Danelectro Vl first appeared in '58 if I remember correctly ( and was I think the inspiration for Fender's Vl ) 

Edited by Waddo Soqable
  • Like 1

Aanyway.. Returning to vintage stuff.. 

Presumably this is the 58 type Danelectro in question 

Often used to double upright bass parts on records, so called tic-tac, then used by Mr Eddy & others for it's deep twangyness 😁

IMG_20230716_134344.jpg

Edited by Waddo Soqable

7 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Aanyway.. Returning to vintage stuff.. 

Presumably this is the 58 type Danelectro in question 

Often used to double upright bass parts on records, so called tic-tac, then used by Mr Eddy & others for it's deep twangyness 😁

IMG_20230716_134344.jpg

Rare, exclusive and not cheep instrument in nowa days, i guess. Would like to own one !

20 hours ago, ped said:

The pdf that @Chiliwailer provided shows the screw is a  'SCREW SMA 5 X 5/8 OHP NI" but I'll be jiggered if I can find a UK equivalent

I've fitted two, I used standard straps button screws but cut the ends off with hefty combination pliers and drilled a full depth hole.

For a vintage bass try these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bulk-Hardware-BH02295-Slotted-Countersunk/dp/B00O7P1FQC

• Thanks 1

I have a Gretsch baritone , I’ve read that it was initially designed to be a BassVI , but they decided to put lighter strings on it and sell it as a baritone. I’ve just tuned it A-A but I might try it with some heavier strings one of these days.

IMG_5741.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Rare, exclusive and not cheep instrument in nowa days, i guess. Would like to own one !

They did a modern-day MIC type copy certainly in various versions, tho the original 3x3 headstock types don't seem as common when I looked at them, many of the modern ones had a fugly 6 in line HS thing. Some ebay seller in Germany had a couple of the more pukka looking remakes with the 3x3 HS , about 500 quid/euro dollars a pop 

As @msb says they're likely marketed as a "baritone"

With a 29.75 scale they can easily be used both ways.

Danos are being made in Korea once more.  

edit … the Dano 6 in line headstock is often called the Dolphin nose headstock , I have a friend that has several vintage Dano made Silvertones with that headstock , so I’ve liked it. I have a reissue 56 bass with the Dolphin nose and don’t find it any uglier than the classic coke bottle.

I’ve been a Longhorn player since they first were reissued , and to this day can’t decide if they’re butt ugly or cool as heck.

Edited by msb
  • Like 1

Just now, msb said:

I have a Gretsch baritone , I’ve read that it was initially designed to be a BassVI , but they decided to put lighter strings on it and sell it as a baritone. I’ve just tuned it A-A but I might try it with some heavier strings one of these days.

IMG_5741.jpeg

Exactly the one I have too 👍... A to A works very well

... as the Squier Vl I've got is tuned as a regular E to E  I'm leaving the Gretsch in A. 

The Bigsby works rather better than the Fender trem tbh.. tho I need to grind the stop off so the lever has full rotation, it sits too low at the mo.. 

• Like 1

I think Fender use self tapping screws, not wood screws.

Tapping Screw #10 x 5/8", Phillips Oval #8 Head, Chrome (Qty: 100)

Brings up a US screw that looks spot on, except #10 is about 4.8mm diameter. No exact UK equivalent.

I'm guessing you need something like #2 x 16mm.

https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/Self-Tapping-Screws/Phillips-Csk-Self-Tapping-Screw-AB-No.2x16-A2-Stainless.html

2.2mm diameter

Edited by Stub Mandrel

I put the “improved” heavier string set on the Squier and found they made a nice difference from the factory set. 
I had never really considered the Bass VI and then one popped up on kijiji and somebody got it before I made my move. And at that point I decided I had to have one.

I’ve been happily surprised at how often I pick it up. I heartily recommend them. The Gretsch is a winner too , however mine does weigh a ton.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, msb said:

I put the “improved” heavier string set on the Squier and found they made a nice difference from the factory set. 
I had never really considered the Bass VI and then one popped up on kijiji and somebody got it before I made my move. And at that point I decided I had to have one.

I’ve been happily surprised at how often I pick it up. I heartily recommend them. The Gretsch is a winner too , however mine does weigh a ton.

I'm very glad I got the Squier Vl too, it's brilliant.. the Gretsch also, it's different enough to the Squier even if it were strung as  E to E though I'm leaving it as a "baritone" for now. 

I'm playing these all the time tbh, I haven't had a 4 banger out for a week or more! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

The Revelation Bass VI also looks interesting as a modern alternative.

Also Burns do a very cool looking Vl version, I was undecided between one of those or a Gretsch at one point, but thought the Burns might be too similar to the Squier Vl, having the same kind of layout, so went for the Gretsch, which is quite different. 

• Like 1