Why become a member? ×

A tale of two (Jazz) basses

Lozz196

So I now have two US Professional Jazz basses. My first has a maple fretboard and whilst I really like it it was a tad difficult to tame the top end, even strung with nickel rounds. So I bought one with a rosewood fretboard, and even though this one is strung with steel rounds the sound is much more even across the spectrum. Was fully expecting to have to take the steels off as they’re usually much toppier than nickels  but no, they’ll stay. I went down this route as I saw a clip on YouTube comparing 2 Jazzes from the same range, one maple one rosewood and I preferred the sound of the rosewood one. Am glad I did, the new one is much better for what I want at present.

• Like 1

On a side note Lozz, I seem to be going the opposite route - I’ve played Jazz basses since 1995, all with rosewood fingerboards. But then the clank called and a few weeks ago saw the arrival of a Fender Player Precision with a maple fingerboard and I couldn’t be happier. I blame Steve Harris and Iron Maiden, to whom I am eternally in their debt.

I had an ebony board on a Gibson Les Paul Bass, one of the few instruments I regret moving on. Was great, had a really rich yet detailed sound to it. Who knows, I might look into another at some point.