Why become a member? ×

Bassline for a tappin' b*****d

Ou7shined

Being more of a "power riffer" I'm kinda out of my comfort zone here so I could do with some ideas.

A guitar tapping mate sent me a track of his to see if I fancied putting bass line to it. So I pulled up Audacity and knocked one out. :brow: *snigger*
Now don't be dissin' me qwala-tee and timin', it's just a one take wonder with me plugged into the mic socket of my pc.

[attachment=21888:Finding_...ith_bass.mp3]
I quite like it but I gather he's not exactly over the moon with what I came up with. How else could I go about it? Do my dusty end antics detract from the rest? :)

Edited by Ou7shined

Dunno, what's his beef like?

Maybe it's there's a little too much dusty end noodly bits, but I wouldn't cut them back too far - I like the way that you move up in pitch during that repetitive bit. If the guitar is doing a similar sounding thing, it's time to go for a walk, no?

[quote name='neepheid' post='432545' date='Mar 12 2009, 03:28 PM']Dunno, what's his beef like?

Maybe it's there's a little too much dusty end noodly bits, but I wouldn't cut them back too far - I like the way that you move up in pitch during that repetitive bit. If the guitar is doing a similar sounding thing, it's time to go for a walk, no?[/quote]
Got me, he just said he liked some bits but it's hard to describe over the internet what he's really after. :rolleyes:
He's gonna punt it out to a couple more guys and see what comes back. There might be a job in it for me. (like I need another band :) )

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='432557' date='Mar 12 2009, 03:37 PM']It's excellent.
Maybe you've just changed the feel of the track as you're playing quite different stuff to the guitar and emphasising different beats to the guitar?[/quote]
Thanks.
I was actually scared that I might not have come away enough from what the guitar is doing.

His hero is Andy McKee who apparently does some stuff with Michael Manring. Maybe I should check out some of that - although it'll probably make me cry.

It's a nice piece of music and there's nothing wrong with what you're playing - I suppose that you could perhaps try something that's a bit more like a solo or a few Stu Hamm type tapping chord things if that is what he wants?

However, it does remind me a little of Vai’s acoustic stuff from ‘Passion & Warfare’, and Stu Hamm very definitely does not over play at all on that album!

[quote name='peteb' post='432628' date='Mar 12 2009, 05:07 PM']It's a nice piece of music and there's nothing wrong with what you're playing - I suppose that you could perhaps try something that's a bit more like a solo or a few Stu Hamm type tapping chord things if that is what he wants?

However, it does remind me a little of Vai’s acoustic stuff from ‘Passion & Warfare’, and Stu Hamm very definitely does not over play at all on that album![/quote]
Cheers.
Stu Hamm is a bit beyond my ability but yeah it would be nice if he could clue me in more as to what he's looking for.

[quote name='yorick' post='432667' date='Mar 12 2009, 05:49 PM']Sounds good to me. has the guitarist looped some of his riffs?[/quote]
Ta.
Not as far as I know (I've seen him play it live a couple of times) but it's possible he might have when he recorded this at home. Why?

Hmm, parts of me think the bass is clashing in places and vying for attention, other parts think it's rather good as the bass seems to be carrying the melody over the repetitive (and rhythmic) guitar parts.

Definitly doesn't hinder the tune though.

[quote name='Buzz' post='432803' date='Mar 12 2009, 07:52 PM']Hmm, parts of me think the bass is clashing in places and vying for attention, other parts think it's rather good as the bass seems to be carrying the melody over the repetitive (and rhythmic) guitar parts.

Definitly doesn't hinder the tune though.[/quote]
I'm totally open to constructive criticism. Which bits do find ropey?

Just had a wee listen & I think it fits pretty well, there's one or two notes I would change maybe but they're insignificant.
Having a lazyish bass line sits nice with busy guitar & I do like the changes from low to high, although if I had one criticism, it would be one section that the guitar plays as some of it sounds a bit funny, just my thought on it tho.

But yeah, I like it. Nice one.

Quick edit. The guitar could probably stop being so fiddly when you're playing the top end & then evolve the same thing with the fiddly bits as you head down again.

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='432529' date='Mar 12 2009, 03:16 PM']Being more of a "power riffer" I'm kinda out of my comfort zone here so I could do with some ideas.

A guitar tapping mate sent me a track of his to see if I fancied putting bass line to it. So I pulled up Audacity and knocked one out. :brow: *snigger*
Now don't be dissin' me qwala-tee and timin', it's just a one take wonder with me plugged into the mic socket of my pc.

[attachment=21888:Finding_...ith_bass.mp3]
I quite like it but I gather he's not exactly over the moon with what I came up with. How else could I go about it? Do my dusty end antics detract from the rest? :)[/quote]
sounds good to me although the style of playing he does doesn't really leave much room for anything else intresting to be going on.

Thanks guys.
I think it was originally composed as a solo piece (he's certainly performed it solo) which explains it's undynamicness (is that even a word?). And yeah it was hard to find the spaces to cram some bass in, that's why I went for a bit of a fretless vibe in places.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='432719' date='Mar 12 2009, 06:21 PM']Ta.
Not as far as I know (I've seen him play it live a couple of times) but it's possible he might have when he recorded this at home. Why?[/quote]

Just sounded like he'd looped the main tapping riff.

[quote name='yorick' post='433199' date='Mar 13 2009, 07:39 AM']Just sounded like he'd looped the main tapping riff.[/quote]
Aye cool. There's this bit in the middle where I struggle to nail the timing changing from one riff to another and had actually thought to myself that it might have been a glitch in a loop. I was just wondering if you were hearing the same bit. But no. Probably just me being crap then. :)

It sounds great to me, very much a Windham Hill sound. Guitar is quite Will Ackerman like. (Will started WH). I really enjoyed the bass on this, it complements and at certain points is a wonderful counter point (where the guitar is repetitive). If you don't mind I'll download to iPod to join my WH collection :)