Why become a member? ×

Stagg EUB for silent practice - noise!!!

Mike1970

I need help. Just got a Stagg EDB to be able to practice while kids are in bed; I chose the Stagg because it has mp3 input and headphones output. But I am a bit disappointed that the level of background noise is so high. So I would welcome any tips on how to reduce it without having to set up a sound studio (not in my budget nor capabilities).

What I have noticed is that the intensity of the hiss is variable, depending on the sort of cables used between bass and headphone. The mp3 input produces even more noise, although it is less when I use my phone than when I connect it to my laptop.

Do you have any experience with this? I am not very knowledgeable with sound connections and I feel a bit desperate after trying options.

If the Stagg is similar to my old Harley Benton, the unamplified output coming from the pickup is rather low; acceptable when you plug into an amp or a combo, but rather hopeless when you try to plug in headphones directly and play along to your MP3, due to the high noise ratio.

I'm afraid the only solution I found was to use a proper headphone amp. I have a PJB Bass Buddy with its own headphones connected to a desktop PC with a Soundblaster external USB sound card. That may be overkill, but it can deal with any pickup's output level. Mind you, the computer itself, especially the radio mouse, introduces noise into the circuit, but the level is acceptable.

3 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

What set up do you have?

I use either a Yamaha Session Cake or a PJB headphone amp with a set of PJB headphones and there’s no hiss. The right headphones will help.

The Sessioncake is a marvellous low cost solution, since I’ve had mine, I’m playing/practising much more at home.

• 5 weeks later...

I use a cheap (£80) table-top mixing desk.

It has enough gain to work with anything I've ever plugged into it.

It has stereo (RCA) inputs for an MP3 player etc.

It'll drive any headphones I've encountered,  has an output that I run to a tuner, and can phantom power any fx units that have XLR connectors (and will take it)

• 2 weeks later...