Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Ultra or Sandberg

MNY

1 hour ago, TRBboy said:

Personally I would go for the Sandberg, you're getting a hand built bass for the same price as a factory built fender. 

I've been using Sandberg for about the last 10 years, and prior to that my mainstay was a fender US jazz for about 14 years (many other basses came and went!). 

I've had various different model Sandbergs, and what made me really fall in love with them was the neck feel, overall build quality and playability, just incredible. 

Clearly I'm a huge fan BUT I completely get what you're saying about the tone! They have a great tonal range, but can sound a bit HiFi/Sterile. It's only in the past 6 months or so I've realised that I've been craving that warm, organic tone like you get from a more traditional bass. So, I have a new Sandberg incoming VERY soon....  This time a TT5 passive - the main difference for me is that they have traditional style alnico V pickups, like a fender. I've come to realise that their usual pickups with the large (Delano style) pole pieces are what really create that HiFi tone. The bass is a bass; alder body, maple neck, couldn't be much more standard. But it's the pickups that make that difference. 

I'm hoping I will get that traditional sound, with the sandberg playability I love. 😊

This video was the final deciding factor for me, sounds great! 

Sorry, skimmed over the later posts, see you've ordered the Ultra! It will be a fab bass anyway! 😊👍

1 hour ago, TRBboy said:

Personally I would go for the Sandberg, you're getting a hand built bass for the same price as a factory built fender. 

I've been using Sandberg for about the last 10 years, and prior to that my mainstay was a fender US jazz for about 14 years (many other basses came and went!). 

I've had various different model Sandbergs, and what made me really fall in love with them was the neck feel, overall build quality and playability, just incredible. 

Clearly I'm a huge fan BUT I completely get what you're saying about the tone! They have a great tonal range, but can sound a bit HiFi/Sterile. It's only in the past 6 months or so I've realised that I've been craving that warm, organic tone like you get from a more traditional bass. So, I have a new Sandberg incoming VERY soon....  This time a TT5 passive - the main difference for me is that they have traditional style alnico V pickups, like a fender. I've come to realise that their usual pickups with the large (Delano style) pole pieces are what really create that HiFi tone. The bass is a bass; alder body, maple neck, couldn't be much more standard. But it's the pickups that make that difference. 

I'm hoping I will get that traditional sound, with the sandberg playability I love. 😊

This video was the final deciding factor for me, sounds great! 

Sorry, skimmed over the later posts, see you've ordered the Ultra! It will be a fab bass anyway! 😊👍

• Like 2

Absolutely no apology necessary. Thank you for a very interesting and insightful post. The video is wonderful by the way. The bass sounds lovely and the playing is rather good too.

• Like 1

Hi,

I have a Fender Ultra Jazz in Blue Cobra color.

It is a really amazing bass, beautiful & the neck is super comfortable.

I love its sound so much that I almost don't touch my other basses for now (Fodera, Suhr, Fender Jazz 50's anniversary, Fender Jazz custom shop & others...)

I usually play is passive, the pre amp is really good, but I only use it if I need something more which is very rare with this bass.

I must say that although the bridge is really good, I have changed it to the Badass II bridge & I added a Hipshot Xtender for drop D.

This bass is like the ultimate Jazz for me, it gives you what you expect from a real good Jazz.

The pickups in it are killer too.

Regards,

• Like 3

10 hours ago, spikemac said:

Hi,

I have a Fender Ultra Jazz in Blue Cobra color.

It is a really amazing bass, beautiful & the neck is super comfortable.

I love its sound so much that I almost don't touch my other basses for now (Fodera, Suhr, Fender Jazz 50's anniversary, Fender Jazz custom shop & others...)

I usually play is passive, the pre amp is really good, but I only use it if I need something more which is very rare with this bass.

I must say that although the bridge is really good, I have changed it to the Badass II bridge & I added a Hipshot Xtender for drop D.

This bass is like the ultimate Jazz for me, it gives you what you expect from a real good Jazz.

The pickups in it are killer too.

Regards,

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. That’s a serious list of basses you own there. I must say those are almost exactly my thoughts. The sound is really immense, and the variety of sounds is very wide indeed. For perfection it could have been a little lighter but it’s a substantial instrument that feels exceptionally well made. Whilst the Sandberg instruments are undoubtedly popular for good reason and very well made, I am 100% sure I have made the right choice to suit my requirements.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

Not the best photos but you will get the idea. Very impressed so far sounds great in passive mode but when you click the active switch it’s otherworldly!  I know it looks black, but it’s actually a very dark brown with a tiny gold speckle in it, hence the gold pick guard.

C0CF883B-38B0-4C91-B43C-60A2A847DAD2.jpeg

518A64B7-5BE1-40CD-96BC-855B7124EE7F.jpeg

Edited by MNY
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, MNY said:

Not the best photos but you will get the idea. Very impressed so far sounds great in passive mode but when you click the active switch it’s otherworldly!  I know it looks black, but it’s actually a very dark brown with a tiny gold speckle in it, hence the gold pick guard.

Gorgeous! 😍 Glad you're pleased with it, looks a lovely bass. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MNY said:

That’s really nice, I like the pickguard colour ☝️

• Like 1

On 13/06/2020 at 12:25, MNY said:

Really glad you're happy with it. My only regret with buying the natural aged Precision is that they weren't made in the Texas tea color..THAT'S BEAUTIFUL. That aside the P is the nicest fender I've ever played. Can't put it down. Congratulations.

Thanks @TrevorG. My Jazz bass is pretty special. I have been lucky enough over the years to have had some very nice guitars ( Alembic, Zon etc) and the Ultra Jazz is possibly my favourite.  Not bad for someone who isn’t actually a bass player, well not a proper one at least.  Cheers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MNY said:

Thanks @TrevorG. My Jazz bass is pretty special. I have been lucky enough over the years to have had some very nice guitars ( Alembic, Zon etc) and the Ultra Jazz is possibly my favourite.  Not bad for someone who isn’t actually a bass player, well not a proper one at least.  Cheers.

I was a pro and, despite a rather demanding day job, I intend to be again. Same here with the past collection of great marques. I actually bought the PJ as a practice bass so I didn't have to drag my Spector up and down to work. Never thought I'd see the day when I'd consider selling the Spector but I just don't play it anymore. The Ultra is that good!

• Like 2

On 13/06/2020 at 12:25, MNY said:

That is a beauty!

@TrevorG go for it!  I’m sure you will do it having been there before. I was a paid amateur drummer of a good standard or so I was told. Unfortunately I suffer from bad RSI in my right elbow and lower arm which has curtailed my drumming. So bass it is for me going forward. 
Glad you like your Ultra Bass. I have played lots of boutique jazz basses, some owned by mates and some in shops and frankly my bass widdles on the lot of them. I don’t know what Fender have done with this model but they’ve done something pretty magical in my opinion. Yes they’re expensive, but they’re not relative to boutique jazz basses some of which won’t play or sound as good as the Ultras. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MNY said:

@TrevorG go for it!  I’m sure you will do it having been there before. I was a paid amateur drummer of a good standard or so I was told. Unfortunately I suffer from bad RSI in my right elbow and lower arm which has curtailed my drumming. So bass it is for me going forward. 
Glad you like your Ultra Bass. I have played lots of boutique jazz basses, some owned by mates and some in shops and frankly my bass widdles on the lot of them. I don’t know what Fender have done with this model but they’ve done something pretty magical in my opinion. Yes they’re expensive, but they’re not relative to boutique jazz basses some of which won’t play or sound as good as the Ultras. 

Exactly!! My theory is they've noticed the baby boomers have retired and want to relive their youth by buying basses again except now they have much more money which is at risk of going to the boutique companies. Raising the bar on quality control alone must be pricey so you're paying for having no doubt about the standard of any Elite or any Ultra. With the Ultras they removed the gimmicks and just focused on what makes them play and sound better... a purer Fender that will double as a working, professional instrument and a good investment. Works for me!!

unnamed copy.jpg

Edited by TrevorG
  • Like 2

Great demo. I think the rosewood fingerboards have a tiny bit more beef in the tone(which suits the P pickup). He's totally right about the sustain. Amazing!

Just got the riff on this other demo under my fingers. It's literally too hard for me to play on a slower neck!!!!!

Edited by TrevorG
  • Like 4

I’m not sure,  but I can tell you the sustain which presumably comes from the new style high mass bridge is very impressive indeed. They possibly thought it wasn’t required in the circumstances. 

Edited by MNY
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, MNY said:

I’m not sure,  but I can tell you the sustain which presumably comes from the new style high mass bridge is very impressive indeed. They possibly thought it wasn’t required in the circumstances. 

I doubt it ever was :)

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, gjones said:

Interestingly, the Ultras don't have through body stringing any more. The Elites and the Deluxes always did. I wonder why?

Never trusted through strung guitars. In the old days they were popular but with more points of contact for the lumpy winding to get round I found the tuning got more and more tricky. In fact the only advantage I could see was countering the problem arising from using cheap woods. The string tension could literally pull the bridge out of the body. I know nothing about building basses but I haven't seen a dislodged bridge in a long time so I guess that became a thing of the past and through stringing with it. IMHO.

• Like 1

I think Cort still use it as an option on some of their 5 strings to achieve a more focused sounding low B string. It certainly seems to work for them on the newer Singlecut range. (the non fanned fret range).

• Like 1