Why become a member? ×

Pitch Shift

Eight

I bought my second bass a little while ago (Cort Curbow4) and have it tuned to C pretty much all the time. Works for me, and most of the stuff I'm trying to play.

The problem is, I'm currently having lessons and most of this is in standard tuning. Still learning the E fretboard so I havent really tried to learn the notes in C yet. My other bass doesn't really like C, so its only the Cort I can use for that; but it seems a shame not to play the Cort all the time.

I wondered if anyone can recommend a good pitch shift pedal - so that in theory, I can shift the C up a major third to E when I'm in lessons or practicing lesson material? What would the sound quality be like - I'd be looking to using the 100% affected signal.

Cheers guys.

[quote name='Eight' post='429101' date='Mar 9 2009, 09:50 AM']I bought my second bass a little while ago (Cort Curbow4) and have it tuned to C pretty much all the time. Works for me, and most of the stuff I'm trying to play.

The problem is, I'm currently having lessons and most of this is in standard tuning. Still learning the E fretboard so I havent really tried to learn the notes in C yet. My other bass doesn't really like C, so its only the Cort I can use for that; but it seems a shame not to play the Cort all the time.

I wondered if anyone can recommend a good pitch shift pedal - so that in theory, I can shift the C up a major third to E when I'm in lessons or practicing lesson material? What would the sound quality be like - I'd be looking to using the 100% affected signal.

Cheers guys.[/quote]

I've not come across an octaver that shifts any number of steps, normally they are either an octave up (rare) or an octave down (common). The Akai Unibass does an octave up with either the straight octave sound or the octave with a lower fourth or upper fifth plus distortion if you want it.

I wouldnt have thought that an octaver would have been acurate enough for lessons though as the tracking on some can be a bit dodgy and the output normally sounds a bit 'wobbly' if you know what I mean. If I was you I'd just invest in a good tuner and re-tune for lessons/practice.

Two words: Digitech Whammy

on it's own it it only harmonises (original and wet signal), but you can get a napalm whammy blender that gives you 100% wet signal:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Napalm-Whammy-Blenda-Dry-Wet-Blender-4-Digitech-Whammy_W0QQitemZ260370019795QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item260370019795&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Napalm-Whammy-Blenda...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url]

it'll be expensive though, for both you're looking at about £200

Edited by bobbass4k

You can use the wet ouput from a digitech whammy but I think this is generally a blended output. No other pedals could affect that. An XP-100 could acheive what you want, but really, the quality is going to be crap, you won't use it. I'd get used to swapping between basses and playing the same stuff on both.

I think the pitch shifter would sound a bit artificial and is probably overkill, a bit like trying to kill a fly with a bazooka. Why not just use a capo at the 4th fret for playing in E?

Edited by dannybuoy

When you're practising in standard tuning are you playing along to anything or just on your own?

If your on your own surely it doesn't matter whether they're the right notes or 2 tones down as what your practising are the patterns and relationships between the notes.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='429164' date='Mar 9 2009, 11:19 AM']When you're practising in standard tuning are you playing along to anything or just on your own?[/quote]
Generally, on my own. Sometimes to backing tracks my teacher prepares, and in lessons there's often a guitar accompanying my clumbsy bass efforts. :)

Might try that capo suggestion - it never even occured to me. I usually run off and look for the most complicated solution to a problem. :rolleyes: Fly and bazooka sounds about right. Lol.

Thanks for the comments and advice guys.

Edited by Eight

I think it depends what you're hoping to get out of your lessons. Although if most of the music you want to play requires you to tune down to C, shouldn't your lessons take this into account?

If what you're learning is all about positions then you should be playing at the right part of the neck. Otherwise try the capo idea.

Just as a side note, I have recently joined a covers band for the first time (up to now I've always done 99% originals) and I've made a point of learning all the songs in such a way that I use no open strings and on a 5-string so that if we need to change the key of a song to suit the singer I can simply move up or down the required number of frets, all my patterns and shapes remain the same.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='429244' date='Mar 9 2009, 12:10 PM']I think it depends what you're hoping to get out of your lessons. Although if most of the music you want to play requires you to tune down to C, shouldn't your lessons take this into account?[/quote]
Yeah, but its very early stages. I have my fourth bass lesson ever this week - and have only been playing since December.

So right now we're still covering pretty basic (but important) stuff. Throwing in C tuning is possibly not my wisest move but hey... I blame the bands I like. :)

I guess in time (when I know the fretboard better) it won't be so much of an issue.

I'm going to write down your comment about not playing open strings and stick it on a post-it note above my bass playing area. The sooner I get into that habit the better.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='429244' date='Mar 9 2009, 12:10 PM']Just as a side note, I have recently joined a covers band for the first time (up to now I've always done 99% originals) and I've made a point of learning all the songs in such a way that I use no open strings and on a 5-string so that if we need to change the key of a song to suit the singer I can simply move up or down the required number of frets, all my patterns and shapes remain the same.[/quote]

I've always done that, and I think its a positive side effect from playing some the crap basses I started on. I realised very early on that the only way to get an even volume and tone across the strings on some of those Jedson and Satellite catalogue specials I started on was to use fretted notes rather than open strings, and fortunately that was one habit that has stuck with me. Its very useful when you need to transpose because most of the time as BigRedX says, its simply a matter of playing the same shapes in a different neck position.

[quote name='Eight' post='429101' date='Mar 9 2009, 09:50 AM']I bought my second bass a little while ago[/quote]

You could always look at getting another bass to keep in standard tuning (assuming you sold your first bass to buy your second) If you still have it, why not keep the old one in standard tuning and the Cort in C
There are a lot of good basses for sale (especially on this very forum) which would probably cost you a damn sight less than a decent pitch shifter.

A

[quote name='Alien' post='430413' date='Mar 10 2009, 12:58 PM']If you still have it, why not keep the old one in standard tuning and the Cort in C[/quote]
I do still have it, but it was a £50 eBay jobbie just to get me started. it doesn't play anywhere nearly as nicely as the Cort. In fact, by comparison it plays pretty awful - I love it in a different kind of way... a way which doesn't involve playing it that much. :)

[quote]There are a lot of good basses for sale (especially on this very forum) which would probably cost you a damn sight less than a decent pitch shifter.[/quote]
I didn't know much about shifters before posting but I think you're right there. Picking up another bass that I can leave in C and feel happy playing is probablty a better way to go.

Cheers fella.

Edited by Eight