Why become a member? ×

4x10 & 1x15 setup to pair with SVT6 Pro

paddy mcbride

Hi

I currently run my SVT6Pro into a Warwick 8x10 Neo Pro. I would have liked an ampeg 8x10 when i was buying the amp but the cabs didn't look like they would handle the 1100 watts (apparently) that the svt6 put out. So the warwick was the right choice at the time because of its 1600watts handling.

I have started to think about changing my 8x10 to a 4x10 and 1x15 setup for flexibility and ease of transport.

Can anyone suggest cabs that would suit running with this head?

Cheers

Paddy

I would honestly say Ampeg heads sound best with ampeg cabs, but if you're after something else maybe go for a mesa, i've heard some nice tones from an SVT through a Mesa powerhouse and they're also rated at a higher wattage IIRC. Don't go for epifani with an ampeg though. Not good news.

Edited by ashevans09

[quote name='ashevans09' post='423819' date='Mar 3 2009, 01:24 AM']I would honestly say Ampeg heads sound best with ampeg cabs, but if you're after something else maybe go for a mesa, i've heard some nice tones from an SVT through a Mesa powerhouse and they're also rated at a higher wattage IIRC. Don't go for epifani with an ampeg though. Not good news.[/quote]

Thanks for that.

Does anyone have any further ideas?

You called?

Power handling of cabs is meaningless - you can use any wattage amp with any wattage cabs if you turn it down or reduce LF when it starts farting.

As for cabs, I would get 2 x 4x10's because mixing 10's and 15's gives unpredictable results.

Edited by bass_ferret

If you want an off the shelf cab then have you considered an ACME Low B-4 and an ACME Low B-4W?

They're lighter than the Ampeg equivilent and handle more power, but being less sensitive require more power to drive them - but you seem to have 1100watts to spare :)

[url="http://www.acmebass.com/products/b4.html"]http://www.acmebass.com/products/b4.html[/url]

[url="http://www.acmebass.com/products/woofers.html"]http://www.acmebass.com/products/woofers.html[/url]

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='424744' date='Mar 4 2009, 08:20 AM']You called?

Power handling of cabs is meaningless - you can use any wattage amp with any wattage cabs if you turn it down or reduce LF when it starts farting.

As for cabs, I would get 2 x 4x10's because mixing 10's and 15's gives unpredictable results.[/quote]

Ok so while we're here, what are your opinions on 6x10 cabs?

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='424747' date='Mar 4 2009, 08:29 AM']I can concur with the above statement albeit in my very limited experience.My 2 4x10's sound better together than my 1x15-4x10.[/quote]
And my pair of 1x15s sound better than my old 2x10+1x15 setup did.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='424794' date='Mar 4 2009, 09:35 AM']Ask jonnylager what he'd do if he had a ~1000W amp and some spare cash! :)

Alex[/quote]
Sorry to keep going on about it, but....

The Barefacedbass Big One.

[quote name='paddy mcbride' post='423149' date='Mar 2 2009, 01:10 PM']...the cabs didn't look like they would handle the 1100 watts (apparently) that the svt6 put out...
I have started to think about changing my 8x10 to a 4x10 and 1x15 setup for flexibility and ease of transport.

Can anyone suggest cabs that would suit running with this head?[/quote]
My LH puts 750w into 8ohms / 1100w into 4 ohms and I guess around 900 into the 6 ohms of the Big One. I couldn't get it above 6/10 without soiling myself and breaking the fixtures and fittings of a reasonably sized arts centre. Gig volume was one and a bit. And it's a one-hand lift even for a back-crip like me, lighter than the LH. Alex might chuck one of his tilt pads in too! :rolleyes:

It will piss your guitarists off more than an 8x10 for the power it kicks out, cos it's so small.

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='paddy mcbride' post='425025' date='Mar 4 2009, 01:16 PM']Ok so while we're here, what are your opinions on 6x10 cabs?[/quote]
About halfway between a 4x10 and an 8x10 :)

Never used or heard one so try it and buy it if you like it. Not as portable as 2 x 4x10's (or even 2 x 3x10's). You could do what EBS_Freak has done and have 4 x 2x10's.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='425352' date='Mar 4 2009, 05:46 PM']About halfway between a 4x10 and an 8x10 :)

Never used or heard one so try it and buy it if you like it. Not as portable as 2 x 4x10's (or even 2 x 3x10's). You could do what EBS_Freak has done and have 4 x 2x10's.[/quote]

Best move I ever made - the most versatile rig that covers every sized gig. Not the cheapest way of doing things I guess, but it does give me the perfect setup for every gig. AND everything fits in the back of a Golf (whilst keeping the two front seats free) - along with 2 basses in Hiscox cases.

Check my signature for the link.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='425681' date='Mar 5 2009, 12:55 AM']Best move I ever made - the most versatile rig that covers every sized gig. Not the cheapest way of doing things I guess, but it does give me the perfect setup for every gig. AND everything fits in the back of a Golf (whilst keeping the two front seats free) - along with 2 basses in Hiscox cases.

Check my signature for the link.[/quote]

That is an awesome setup and one that makes total sense. Great looking cabs as well.